[Q] Vacuformed canopy

I picked up a Special Hobby manned V-2 missile and it comes with a vacuformed canopy. How do you work with this thig to get it to fit without ruining it?

Yeah, I know, CAREFULLY. Any other hints?

Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

"Rob Gronovius" wrote

Have you used vac canopies before?

You could try packing it with silly putty to get it to hold it's shape while trimming. Other than that, it's pretty much cut and try, cut and try.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Rob, I usually paint the darned thing first and then cut it out. The paint makes the seams easier (for me) to see. I also use a large magnifying lens to help with the cutting.

The Old Timer

silly putty or clay pressed in the caonpy will add support. which ever is on hand. practice on some blister pack of thing you may have bought and saved the plastic for.

jack

jack

I've had good success cutting vac canopies out using tiny scissors (used for decals also), though I do have to work with a magnifier. Usually a little delicate edge-on sanding is all I need after that.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Good point. I usually use a fine tip permanent marker to define the lines prior to cutting (you've got premium grade scissors don't you?) I'm not sure of the configuration but you can also wrap a piece of sandpaper around the body and delicately move the canopy around for final fit. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Guys, thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully I won't mess up the canopy. Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius