question about T6 photo

A friend showed me a picture of a T6 and asked about the rod-like extensions protruding from beneath the tail along the bottom of the fuselage and along the trailing edge of the tail.

Can anyone tell me what these are?

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Static dissipaters?

Fran Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

My guess is that they are 'static dispensers' (I don't remember the proper term) and they are probably attached to the trailing edge of the wings, not to the rear fuselage.

Sten

Reply to
Sten

Nahhh.....this is obviously a case of a ground crew with too much time on their hands!

"Hey Ralph...lets attach these thin thingies to the tail, and in fifty years, we can REALLY screw with the minds of MODEL BUILDERS!"

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Lee,

IMO, you're seeng the static dissapaters that are on the trailing edge of the the right aileron.

The perspective of the photo makes them look like they're coming out of the rear fuselage.

Jay Beckman Chandler, AZ

Reply to
Jay Beckman

Crap.....you spoiled the ongoing joke!

This is all very similar to an F-4 Phantom that a few years ago made the rounds. It was a rare variant with bizarre antenna extending vertically from the upperside and underside of the nose.... (of course, they were the vertical steel fence posts BEHIND the plane...)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Yup, static dischargers.

You see 'em on the B-58 also.

Be well.

Kitt

Lee wrote:

Static dissipaters?

Fran Kranick

Reply to
Kitt Walker

And the F-16

Be well

Kitt

Lee wrote:

Static dissipaters?

Fran Kranick

Reply to
Kitt Walker

Just about any airplane over 200 MPH uses them.

Reply to
famvburg

not limited to airspeed, about all aircraft that are equiped for IFR flight have them. Hard to trust your instruments when the radios are full of static. Matt Gunsch, A&P,IA,Private Pilot Riding member of the 2003 world champion drill team Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Reply to
N329DF