Re: Comments on Osprey books pls...

saw at greatmodels that osprey has a book on the Doolittle Raid in > 1942.

> > I did not find it at at amazon. > > > anyone comment on their books... > > thx - Craig >

Depends on what you're going to do with them. Series like Men at Arms, Warrior, Elite, Aircraft Aces, etc provide a few good color illustrations and a decent amount of supporting information that I suspect are very useful to modelers, gamers and visual arts folks. As history references they're a bit spotty. Some of the information, especially in the older titles is not always on target. I like them for the same reason I enjoyed Playboy - for the pics! The pics are great inspiration, take some of the text with a grain of salt.

I have not read this particular Doolittle title - it's a title under their Campaign series:

I have mixed feelings about this series. If the topic is small in scope, like the Doolittle Raid, the Campaign series make for a fair general 100pg read on the subject. Larger scale, more complex topics like the Battle of Gettysburg do not fare so well. It made for one of my most frustrating reads last year - second only to the 2005 federal tax code. ;-) The treatment was competent enough - it's just a big topic that demands more than a few generalized battlefield maps and an order of battle to sketch around. If it was meant as an introduction it was too confusing and if it was meant as an advanced reference it was too brief.

Doolittle should probably make for a good enough read in 100 pages or less. It's a more or less a slowly progressing linear engagement where a lot of things aren't happening all at once.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

thx much for the opn and link!!!!

Craig

Reply to
crw59

For figures, they are about the *best* reference works available...particular when the artwork is done by one of "the greats" such as Angus McBride, the late Rick Scollins, Ron Volstad (he of Dragon/DML fame) or the many other world class artists they have commissioned. Those of you who have been fortunate enough to visit Shep Paine's museum...err home...in Skokie, IL; have seen perhaps the world's largest collection of original Osprey plates/paintings; and as gorgeous as they are in the books, they have lost a *lot* "in translation"...as is evident when you gaze at the originals.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I have a few of them but they're largely of Eastern European military history. They've been very imformative to me but they are possibly 'history lite'. Still, they cover subjects not often found in bookstores hereabouts.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller