Re: Dry rub transfers/decals?

What is the appeal and how are they used? Is this a new thing?

It's certainly not a new thing--these sorts of markings have been around for at least ten years as hobby-specific material, and a lot longer as dry transfer lettering and imaging from companies like Chartpak. I frankly don't see the appeal. Perhaps they're cheaper, or perhaps they adhere to surfaces that the waterslide stuff doesn't handle well, but you still need a smooth surface for optimum performance. Another possibility is that they don't require carrier film, which might make them a better choice for NMF finishes, except that you have no chance to reposition if you screw up, and they require significant pressure on the surface of the model, which some models and some NMF finishes might not cotton to. They also have a reputation for deteriorating on the sheet faster than waterslide decals, though YMMV, and they are also more prone to flake off the model over time.

Basically, the artwork comes off the bottom of the sheet, instead of the top for a waterslide decal, by pressing through the top of the sheet onto the surface to be marked, which (eventually) causes the dry transfer to part company with the sheet and attach to the model. The best tool is a dry transfer stylus. This allows you to apply pressure on the top of the sheet with as little or as much surface area as you need, and allows precision when dealing with the margins of the dry transfer. This is using the 'pointy-tongue' end of the tool. The other end of the tool is a rounded knob, which allows you to burnish the dry transfer through the sheet to ensure maximum lay-down and adhesion. Presumably they can thereafter be sealed with Future or other gloss coat and then a flat coat, which ought to minimize subsequent flaking, but again, if you're working with NMF, seal coats are a more complicated question.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

A lot of modelers used dry transfer lettering because it was available in a very wide range of typefaces and sizes; the selection of waterslide decal lettering was much smaller by comparison.

Modelers also used it as a mask, so they could airbrush the lettering in any color they wanted. When the paint was dry, the dry transfer was pulled off with adhesive tape.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

Another attraction used to be the wide availability of lettering. Every art and office supply store used to carry these in a variety of fonts, sizes, and colors. So you could do your own serial numbers, names, etc. Great for scratch builders.

However, the advent of graphics programs like Power Point on PCs has led the business community to no longer use things like dry transfer lettering and art symbols, chartpak tape, etc. Even though office supply stores are ubiquitous these days, these stores do not handle that sort of art/presentation supply stuff anymore.

Anyone know where to get this stuff today?

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

As you said, it's about art. Look in your local art & crafts hobby stores for these. In the UK a chain called The Range do a nice set of Edwardian posters and other arty pictures and have seen the lettering elsewhere. When I joined the ARC F-14 Tomcat group build I got a set of missile markings free from Hobbydecal who are sponsors, these are rub-ons.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley

I have used them a couple of times on a few of German Armour Halftracks. The results were really pretty good. If they are put down correctly they have atleast to me the look of having been painted. This for me looks great , combined with the fact they have no carrier gives them this very distinct appearance. And you if you're careful not to be too rough with it you can do a little -"dry brushing"- over top of them to build up a layer of grime and dirt to enhance that ''Slightly-Used'' and ''Lived-in-Look'' to what you've built.

They don't work everywhere , atleast not for me anyway. But some places where they Do work really Great

... Carl ..........

.

Rama-Lama-BIG-BORG ; BORG TEMPLE N.Y. Central-Park-West ; Master Builder of blessed temple KITS ; Keeper of Secret Temple Decoder Rings & Bracelets ; Fluent-in-1st=96Degree=96TALK-to-the-HAND =96TEMPLE-ETTE=96Guards=96SIX=96&=96SEVEN=96

This is My Web=96Page The=95=95=95=95WORLD=96WIDE=96WEB=95=95=95=95is totally jam packed with thousands of people who are Destined to be nothing more then a faded weatherbeaten =95=95=95CHALK=96OUTLINE=95=95=95 along the=95=95=95INFORMATION=96SUPER=96HIGHWAY=95=95=95
Introducing ''SPOT-the-CAT''

cyberborg 4000

See:

range, mainly for armour. Goes down thin, no carrier and looks like paint. more realistic. Some general purpose stuff as well. see also:
some aircraft stuff WRF

"Nooooooo! Stop me before I build again."

Reply to
rfranklin