Re: (GEN) Future Use # 2,378

> My high school freshman son was tasked to bring in a colloid for > science class. We searched the house, thinking of homebrew substances > and, while rifling through my work desk, happened upon my big bottle of > Future. Enter, Future the colloid... > FWIW, a colloid is (generally) a substance between a solution and a > suspension - paints, inks, milk and the like fall into the colloid > category. Since Future carries extraordinarily fine amounts of acrylic > solids, it seems to suit the task. > It met my "litmus test"... > > Sorry, I couldn't resist... > > Frank Kranick

Darn shame I have no young'uns around to make use of this knowledge. I'll have to try and and remember this for when my grandson needs this knowledge. That is, of course, sometime in the future. (rimshot, please)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I don't know if this helps answer the question, but here's the MSDS from the SCJohnson website:

Reading the MSDS, my guess is Future is a solution of gylcols and phosphates rather than a colloid which is a relatively permanent suspension of larger particles. This seems to be born out by the absence of the Tyndall effect (the characteristic of colloids to scatter light - like paint), as future is relatively clear, if not transparent.

But I am not a chemist and I don't play one on TV either, so I defer to any chemist who knows better - just don't flame me for my ignorance. :)

Reply to
Kaliste

Well, since I'm the one who started this thread, I also beseech someone with a better chemistry background than me to jump in (I hated the subject). Kaliste's comment on the Tyndall effect sent me scrambling for my son's notes - I know we read about it. I'll have to ask my son if the Future was well-received in class... :-)

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

See what you've started!! :-) Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Frank;

You might try our old friend Google for details on the Tyndall effect. I remember when I was in high school (phenomenal memory!) I took Jello as my example of a colloid suspension. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything else about that particular bit of class work.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell