Re: Long Tom Question

Sounds like the recoil spades.

They are fitted to the end of the trail legs and when the gun fires, they dig in and help to reduce the recoil.

Self-propelled guns also have them, they usually look like bulldozer blades...

HTH

Chris

> > On the 155mm heavy artillery piece "Long Tom" it is laid using a > split trail. On the upper mid point of each trail leg is a fence like > structure that seems to have no function. On model displays, and > maybe even photos of the gun these fences are ;posed in their original > places on the trail legs. So what is their function?
Reply to
Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes wrote: : Sounds like the recoil spades. :

Given the location, I think he means the aiming stakes.

:>

:> On the 155mm heavy artillery piece "Long Tom" it is laid using a :> split trail. On the upper mid point of each trail leg is a fence like :> structure that seems to have no function. On model displays, and :> maybe even photos of the gun these fences are ;posed in their original :> places on the trail legs. So what is their function? : :

Reply to
Bruce Burden

These are probably the recoil spades. When travelling, they were stowed horizontally on the trail legs. When the gun was brought into position, the rear, two-wheeled limber was removed, the front wheels were jacked up clear of the ground, the large spades were fitted to the ends of the trail legs and smaller spades were fitted under the front ends of the legs, near the hinges.

I've noticed that photographs taken of the gun set up on concrete for display purposes sometimes show the spades stowed on the trail legs but they would have been fitted for actual firing.

It's a fine looking gun. I wish there were a 1/72 scale kit.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

I bought the Hasegawa kit when it first appeared. It's not up to much and would need more work than I was then prepared to give it to make a decent job of it.

Gord>> These are probably the recoil spades. When travelling, they were stowed

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin