Re: Looking askance at instruction sheets

Is anyone else this

>dissatisfied witht he instruciton sheets that come in kits today? > >Mark Schynert

Yes, extremely. In the first Dragon 1/72 scale armor kits they used color photos on glossy paper. These color photos showed the kit in various stages of assembly with the parts in place. Some parts were impossible to identify on the kit and others the exact placement was very vague. I had a bear of a time with the Dragon Elefant.

At least their later 1/72 scale armor kits have gone back to line drawings. Much eaiser.

Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

"When all else fails read the instructions!" I'm a big fan of instructions for everything. I start by examining the instructions and then figuring where I need to vary my endeavors. While recent instructions that are pictorial leave a bit to be desired the Promodeler sheets are a step in the right direction. What I find annoying is buying computer equipment with no instructions or those aggravating pdf files. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Aside from the badge hanging over my workbench stating: "Real Men Don't Need Instructions!" I find them useful at times. The last time I slavishly followed instructions is lost in the dim past but I do use them as a point from which to depart. There are times that only the instructions can assist in placing a part. There are times when I really use the colour instructions as I may have none of that knowledge of the type I'm building. I would not include any DML sheets in the helpful category. The few DML kits I have built have all included vague sheets. I don't go out of my way to buy any of their kits. Regretably RC/Ertl's instructions are nowhere as good as when Ertl was independent. They went out and researched details and colours and made note of them on the sheets. RC just reprints the old '70s AMT sheets with their own logo. AMT sheets of that period were unacceptable, IMHO.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak