Re: Opinions on Special Hobby 1/72 Hawker Tempest Mk II

>The title says it all really. I haven't been able to find a review on the >usual web sites (maybe my goggling skill are not good enough). > >Being Special Hobby, I realise that the kit is going to be limited run >quality but does the kit include any resin, etched bits? How do the kit >pieces look? Anybody actually put one together? (a rather novel idea for >modeller I know). > >TIA >Ultan > >

try googling instead of goggling. (couldn't resist.)

Well, it's only been out since November of this year, and it's not a mainstream kit. From what I read of reviews of other Special Hobby (same folks as MPM) kits, it's almost certain to have resin interior, vac canopy, good external scribing and no locating pins; it'll probably be challenging but buildable, with maybe one or two trouble spots. The general consensus is that SH is getting better as they go. Why don't you build one and let us know?

Pip Moss

in article PZ6nf.275$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optus.net.au, Ultan Rooney at snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote on 12/11/05 11:26 PM:

Reply to
Pip Moss

Or would it be cheaper & easier to get the Matchbox kit? That's my opinion regarding the Sword Bearcat. For the cost of that thing, you can get several old Monogram kits & have a way better model when finished.

Reply to
frank

I have been trying to purchase one of the Matchbox kits but there does not seem to be any available.

I have the Sword Bearcat kit in my "must do soon" pile. I got the kit reasonably cheaply secondhand so the cost wasn't a big issue. If I ever get around to building the kit, I'll report back on my opinions of the kit.

Thanks for your response Ultan

Reply to
Ultan Rooney

Generally speaking the latest Special Hobby kits all have injection canopies. We will be getting a few in this Friday as we already have some orders for them. Hopefully one of our custromers will give an opinion - mind you many of my customers as with most modellers will sit on most kits for a loing time befiore making - grin.

BTW, we ship postage free in the UK and always get these latest kits in as soon as we can. We also can source almost anything in the H*****nts catalogue with free shipping. We order at 12pm of Wednesdays and our deliveries always arr9ive by 4pm Friday the same week. Try us first.

David

dnews

OK, got onr today.

Basic shell is IJ plastic - wings, fuselage, tailplanes (Are these a little small? Must check) prop, spinner, wheels, u/c legs, tanks and u/c doors. Canopies are vacs (x2) etched fret for some small details & above engine vents. The reast is resin, including undercarraige bay and wing leading edge interiors (which are wierd as they only appear there to hold an etched pice?) cockpit side walls, exhauts pipes (Yeay!), cowl front/prop mount (double yeay!) and an amazingly detailed cokpit.

Decals are a camo'd aircraft of 54 Sqn (MW774/HF-X) and two aluminium aircraft of 5 Sqn (PR772/OQ-R) and WingCo of 135 Wing PR674/FR-C) - and a fair old selection of stencils.

Other than the tailplanes, which I must check, nothing else looks 'wrong' at first glance

Remove nospam to reply!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming