Re: OT--Brewster F3A-1 Answer

So where's my prize?

>> We had several winners. The Brewster F3A-1
>is indeed a Corsair. Chance
>> Vought produced 12,000 Corsairs and Brewster
>produced only 735. I didn't
>> even suspect this. Since it was such a surprise
>to me, I thought ya'll
>> might be interested, too.
>> Jerry 47

Weren't both Brewster and Curtiss investigated by the Truman Committee?
Seems the Navy was so disgusted with both companies that there were multiple
accusations of incompetence and even sabotage.
Posted via
- web to news gateway for usenet access!
Reply to
Matt Wiser
I agree with you, but the argument I've heard was that it was the engine change plus the airframe changes plus the ongoing development of the 'mainline' Corsair plus the change in designation plus the fact that only Goodyear was building them, and that they were the only subtype of the family to be optimized for low altitude. Are Taylorcraft L-2s and Austers distinct designs? What about the Fw 190A and Ta 152? Or Yak-9 and Yak-3? Typhoon and Tempest? It's semantics as much as anything. The Ju 88V-1 looks almost nothing like the Ju 388K, but there were so many intermediate steps in development that one can see a slow transition. My own criteria are that when the engine, the wings and the fuselage all differ significantly, it's certainly no longer the same design. By that view, the F2G is probably still a Corsair, since the wings didn't change much, but the Ju 88V-1 and Ju 388K are different ones. Yet throw in those intermediate steps and what do you have? Compare a P-51H to the NA-73X and you do see a lot of differences, but again, there's a process of evolutionary change to get from one to the other. So, if someone asks "how many Corsairs did Goodyear build?" I feel a need to qualify the answer.
Mark Schynert
Reply to
Mark Schynert