Re: OT: USS Midway

I'm glad to hear another one's been saved. My son reports that a 'carrier' with the number 12 was seen in the Philly Navy Yard. Is that what he saw?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Bill Banazak writes,

"My son reports that a 'carrier' with the number 12 was seen in the Philly Navy Yard. Is that what he saw?"

Not a carrier--CV-12 is U.S.S. Hornet, which when I last checked (last night!) was at Alameda as a museum. It was most likely U.S.S. Inchon, LPH-12.

--Chris Bucholtz

Reply to
Chris Bucholtz

A friend of mine who served on the Midway once told me that after she was launched she remained ported in Japan the rest of her active service life never returning to the states until being decommisioned.

Reply to
ARMDCAV

Check out

for more information..

voigt

Reply to
Voigt Lander

Nope he lied to me, The Midway was ported in the states, several times. Hmm. While looking up info on Midway I discovered something I really had never thought about. How many carriers did we lose in WWII? A lot right? Nope only

  1. The Langly (1), the Lexington(2), the Yorktown(5), the Wasp(7), the Hornet(8) and the Princton(23). Counted the Langly even though at the time she was more of a supply ship than a real carrier. As I said, never really thought about it but from all the stories and movies I would have believed several dozen.
Reply to
ARMDCAV

what about the cve's?

true but I was refering to CV's not escorts. Same with the battleships. We lost Arizona and Oklahoma the rest were raised repaired and for the most part had outstanding war records. And those two, by sneak attack were the only battleships we have ever lost to enemy action in any war. Things you find out while looking up other things.

Reply to
ARMDCAV

and

for starts