Re: Partially built kits- any value? Any on Ebay?

Like the subject line says, do partially built kits sell? I've got a

>few I need to pass along to a good home. I saw a few on Ebay months >ago but none since. > > If there's potential, I'll post again with a list. >

Once a kit has been opened -- and worse, if work has been started on it -- it becomes a problem for the potential buyer. The first hurdle is missing pieces. Secondly, it's hard to tell about the quality of the work that's been done.

I recently bought such a kit of the Revell Cutty Sark on ebay, for parts. The seller was up front with the fact that the hull was missing. Fine. But many of the rest of the parts looked like they had been glued together by a 5-year-old with palsy. I could hardly believe it! (But at least I didn't pay much.)

Most modelers, I think, would agree that the main pleasure in models is in building them. Completed models only have value if they reflect superb craftmanship -- on a level well above that of the prospective buyer. Otherwise, why bother correcting someone else's mistakes?

As soon as a model is completed, it starts accumulating large and small damage. Such models have to be periodically cleaned and maintained to continue looking good. Storage and display can be a problem -- and shipment of such a fragile item can be difficult and expensive.

Reply to
Alexander Arnakis

I have picked up a few started 1/72 aircraft over the years for very little. Some go into the parts bin, others sit forever as hanger queens, occasionally losing a part for something else. A very few get completed.

The MS.230 that I finished last year was a partially completed kit and it turned out very well.

Post your partially built kits here, you'll probably unload them all.

Good luck,

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Just go to eBay, Toys and Hobbies, and search for "partially built". That will give you some ideas. If you include a good description and pics, you should do a lot better.

Curt

Reply to
Curt

Just make sure the description correctly describes them as partially built, I have only had occasion to complain about kits bought on eBay twice and both times it was when the items were described as unbuilt and both obviously had some work done, one was even partly painted !!

I kept one of the kits , a Hasegawa 1/48 Phantom (even though the undercarriage had been crudely assembled and painted), as I will build it as an in flight model.

The other one an Italeri 1/35 Jeep was very badly assembled with huge glue blobs everywhere, that one was refunded in full by the seller.

If you are truthfull with your description and pitch the price right I'm sure you will sell them.

Happy modelling Ant

Reply to
Ant Phillips