Re: Trivia: Drop-tank

> Anyone got an answer for who invented the aeroplane drop-tank?? >

> Someone who forgot to tighten the screws...

Hehehehe

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

You can find external tanks on P-12s or F9Cs, but were they droppable?

The first Hurricane to fly trials with a drop tank did so on May 7,

1940. The Grumman F4F was much later, November of 1941. Nakajima A4Ns were using drop tanks as early as 1934. That's the earliest reference I have.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Mark Schynert wrote in news:mass22- snipped-for-privacy@news06.west.earthlink.net:

I believe that drop tanks are how the Zeros made it from Formosa to the Phillipines and back in Dec 1941.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost