Re: Wasted effort -- info needed

> I know I'm wasting my time, but I'm going to ask a real model-related > question anyway. I need to know what kind of seats Gloster Meteor T > Mk7s and Armstrong-Whitworth Meteor NF 13s used. Were they ejection > seats or were they regular > get-your-own-ass-out-of-the-rapidly-descending-aircraft seats? I simply > can't find that information _anywhere_. Admittedly, I don't have the > world's largest collection of information on the Meteor, but I do have a > bit, and it's simply not in any of them. > If any of you should wander away from politics and world events long > enough to consider a poor, needy modeler, any help would be greatly (and > astonishedly) appreciated. > Steve > -- > Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. > - Lazarus Long > > The two most numerous items in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

:)

I'll try and check my Meteor Profile. It might include the T.7 but it does not cover the nightfighters. I should check my SAM collection too. ISTR an issue on the AWs.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Steve Collins wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

Meteor T7's didn't have bang seats, and I'm pretty sure that the NF13's didn't have them either.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Burnley

Firstly, yep, check came in, stuff will go out Friday. Now, what I could find was that the first Meteor fighter to have bang seats was the F.8. As Ian said the T.7 did not. This brings up the thought that maybe the NFs didn't either since their starting point was the T.7. One thing the SAM article said was that the only thing constant in the NF family was the Derwent 8 engine. That kind of reduces it to maybe yes, maybe no. Going further afield, "The Complete Book of Fighters" has a cutaway drawing of the NF.12 in which the pilot's seat is labeled as just that, a seat. I also checked with my 1954 edition of "The Aircraft of the World" and there's no mention of ejection seats there nor in "Combat Aircraft of the World". I don't think the NFs had ejection seats based on these sources.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Reply to
Steve Collins

It was fun to do some model stuff researching that I have the resources for.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Yeah, that is fruitfull!

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Neither the T.7 or NF.13, in their conventional forms, used ejection seats. They were a plain seat, pretty close to what Classic Airframes offer in their 1/48 kits.

If you're building the Classic Airframes T.7 - as I am presently - prepare for a fight! It's not an easy fit. There is a lot more to the space between the front and rear cockpit than the resin parts provide. The small roof-like item doesn't account for the canopy actuator and some other details.

Lee

in article snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, Steve Collins at snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote on 11/22/04 10:00 PM:

Reply to
Lee Coll

Neither had bang seats - not least because the canopy was so heavily framed.

Only T7s with ejection seats were the Martin Baker test aircraft.

None of the NFs had ejection setas, although the 14 was fitted with a clear canopy in anticipation, they were never fitted.

Don't reply to the btconnect address - and remove nospam!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming

Reply to
Steve Collins