Re: Wasted effort -- info needed

Steve Collins wrote:

:)
I'll try and check my Meteor Profile. It might include the T.7 but it does not cover the nightfighters. I should check my SAM collection too. ISTR an issue on the AWs.
Bill Banaszak, MFE

simply
(and
Meteor T7's didn't have bang seats, and I'm pretty sure that the NF13's didn't have them either.
Ian
Steve Collins wrote:

Firstly, yep, check came in, stuff will go out Friday. Now, what I could find was that the first Meteor fighter to have bang seats was the F.8. As Ian said the T.7 did not. This brings up the thought that maybe the NFs didn't either since their starting point was the T.7. One thing the SAM article said was that the only thing constant in the NF family was the Derwent 8 engine. That kind of reduces it to maybe yes, maybe no. Going further afield, "The Complete Book of Fighters" has a cutaway drawing of the NF.12 in which the pilot's seat is labeled as just that, a seat. I also checked with my 1954 edition of "The Aircraft of the World" and there's no mention of ejection seats there nor in "Combat Aircraft of the World". I don't think the NFs had ejection seats based on these sources.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Thanks, guys. One of the lads in the IDF mailgroup sent me some pictures, too, that suggest the same thing. I really appreciate the effort and the answers. And the lack of politics. Steve
Mad-Modeller wrote:

--
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Lazarus Long

Yeah, that is fruitfull!
The Keeper (of too much crap!)
Yeah, it is, isn't it? Nice to see a few guys who remember what the group is really for. Steve
Mad-Modeller wrote:

--
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Lazarus Long
Neither the T.7 or NF.13, in their conventional forms, used ejection seats. They were a plain seat, pretty close to what Classic Airframes offer in their 1/48 kits.
If you're building the Classic Airframes T.7 - as I am presently - prepare for a fight! It's not an easy fit. There is a lot more to the space between the front and rear cockpit than the resin parts provide. The small roof-like item doesn't account for the canopy actuator and some other details.
Lee
in article snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, Steve Collins at snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote on 11/22/04 10:00 PM:

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:00:25 -0700, Steve Collins

Neither had bang seats - not least because the canopy was so heavily framed.
Only T7s with ejection seats were the Martin Baker test aircraft.
None of the NFs had ejection setas, although the 14 was fitted with a clear canopy in anticipation, they were never fitted.
Don't reply to the btconnect address - and remove nospam!!