Re: Wessticles gets hammered again.....

>And if Lafayette had stayed in France, perhaps we would still be subjects of >the Queen of England. ..../V > >> Perhaps it would have been better if we had left France "quiet" in June of >> 1944. >> >> > >> -- -- >> " In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; >> he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" >> W. Zevon >> >> My home page:

Doubtful, but thanks for rthe thought anyway. Vessticles. By the way, don't delude yourself about the French part in the American Revolution. It wasn't all that monumental and it was not done for any noble purpose such as securing the freedom of our emerging nation. It was merely for French self interest alone. Look it up on the Internet.

-- -- " In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

My home page:

Bill Woodier

"Bill Woodier" wrote

In fact, they were on the verge of making a separate peace with England when the opportunities of 1781 presented themselves.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Nice for you to slip in a little high-brow discussion. Self-interest is the game all right, and if De Grasse's fleet hadn't been off Yorktown at the right time, would Cornwallis have had to surrender? And how does the American Revolution turn after that? Oh, I'll agree that we'd have eventually prevailed obver the British--their long-term position was impossible by then. But to say that French help didn't matter is simply inaccurate. Also pretty irrelevant in the larger context--this is 223 years later, and a lot in the world is different.

France operated out of self-interest, even if some Frenchmen (perhaps Lafayette) were operating from a more noble cause. And that's exactly what we're doing in the foreign arena--as do most or all other nations. Or, at least, perceived self-interest. Nobility in foreign affairs is a very rare bird--the only unadulterated example I can think of in the last 25 years were the efforts of the Canadians in Tehran to smuggle American diplomats out under Canadian cover after a few had taken refuge in the Canadian embassy. The Canadians got nothing tangible and risked much--like having their own embassy invaded. Attempting to generate noble byproducts from actions in self-interest is not the same thing.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Hey Woodstain:

I'm not a historian nor do I play one on TV. But I remember something about a French fleet off-shore of Yorktown at a critical moment. ..../V

Reply to
Vess Irvine