Revell 1/32 Aircraft

I liked the Revell 1/32 Tornadoes for $15 at Toy Liquidators

Toy liquidators has been hit or miss and lately mostly miss. Since AMT got out of the aircraft biness they only seem to ever have a small selection of cars. Sometimes you could find Revell/Monogram 1/32. I have been fortunate enough to pick up a Phantom or two for aroung 15.00 bucks. They would sometimes have a buy one get one for 1/2 price and this made those kits very tasty at about 12.00 each. They even closed the TL store nearest me in Orland Park about a year ago. This leaves the next nearest TL's at around 80 to 100 miles away and with the poor selection of kits not worth the drive.
No one has mentioned this but good ol Squadron mail order has these sale priced at 19.99 sometimes which is still great value IMO.
You want to find KB toy liquidators then simply go to KBKIDS.COM and click the store locator link.
Cheers, Max Bryant

Just for the record, here's a listing of (US) Revell 1/32 scale aircraft kits from the late 1960s to late 1970s (from Revell 1969, 72-73, 73-74, 75-76, 76-77, and 1981 catalogs):
H-288 Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden H-188 F-4J Phantom II H-271 P-40E Aleutian Tiger H-295 P-51B Mustang H-280 P-38J Lightning H-284 Messerschmitt Bf-109F H-265 Mistubishi A6M5 Zero-Sen (with record offer) H-279 Messerschmitt Bf-109G Gustav H-294 Supermarine Seafire H-299 Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat (with record offer) H-278 F4U-1 Corsair H-283 P-40E Flying Tiger H-152 RAF Mustang III with Malcolm Hood H-151 P-47D Razorback Thunderbolt H-296 P-47D Thunderbolt (bubble canopy) (with record offer) H-298 Junkers Ju-87B Stuka H-217 Hawker Hurricaine Mk I H-282 Supermarine Spitfire Mk I H-153 Hungarian Junkers Ju-87B Stuka H-287 Bell Hueycobra H-146 Hughes OH-6A Cayuse H-286 Bell Huey UH-1D H-259 Bell Huey Attack Helicopter H-198 F-4E Phantom II H-185 Dassault Mirage III (E/R/S/RS) H-194 Hawker Harrier V/STOL Jump Jet H-267 MiG-21 H-251 Bristol Beaufighter H-266 Hawker Typhoon H-275 Me 262 B-1a German Night Fighter H-250 Me Bf-110 Night Fighter H-274 "Miss America" P-51D Mustang H-272 Bob Hoover's Aerobatic P-51D Mustang H-155 Isreali Mirage 5J H-281 U.S. Army Spitfire Mk 5C H-262 P-38L Droop-Snoot H-297 Royal Navy Corsair II H-180 Mosquito Mk IV H-215 Focke Wulf 190D-9 H-218 Me 262-1a Swallow H-276 Kawasaki Ki61 Hien "Tony" H-182 F-4E Phantom II (with stores) ? Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa "Oscar" ? P-40E "1941" movie ? F4U Corsair "Baa Baa Blacksheep" TV series ? A6M5 Zero "Baa Baa Blacksheep" TV series
Just a reminder that Revell was once at the top of the heap when it came to 1/32 scale aircraft. Hope this brings back some nice memories.
Martin

Yes they were and it was because 1/32 was selling. Hasegawa did some as well as Monogram, Tomy, etc. Then something happened. 1/32 stopped selling. Guys did not want big ass models because of shelf space. They also were more expensive around six times more expensive than a 1/72 kit. Remember at this time 1/48 was Monograms domain and 1/72 was IT! These 1/32 kits were state of the art for the time frame too. Then they stopped selling so the manufacturers stopped throwing money into new molds. 1/48 became the darling scale so Monogram faced fierce competition from Tamiya, Hasegawa, etc. Hell everyone was onto the 1/48 bandwagon.
Then we fast forward to the new Millenium and Trumpeter re-introduces 1/32 and modeler's act like it is the second coming of Christ. IMO Trumpeter is an up and comer but does good, albeit way to expensive (for me) kits. Modeler's looking for a new flavor of the week just jump onto 1/32 scale. 1/32 may fade into history once more but who knows. As for Revell once being on top of the heap this is true. They along with partner Monogram were just bowled over by the Hasegawa/Tamiya onslaught of the 90's. They still put out great kits but they were caught sleeping and may never regain that lost ground. Funny though that Revell Germany has put out kits on a regular basis that I would never hesitate to compare to a Japanese product. Must be that precision German engineering I hear about. Cheers, Max Bryant

Site Timeline

  • - the site's newest thread. Posted in