Ride a DUKW in Philly

There are at least two DUKW's in Philadelphia doing river tours.

Is seems as if they hold about 30+ people in each one.

They swim up and down the riverfront and then beach near the Ben Franklin bridge and do a driving tour of historic areas.

The humor on these Ducks as they call them is quite cheesy, but fun for the kids. Plastic duck bills are handed out, and going home from work today, they played the theme from COPS when passing by some police next to the Liberty Bell.

Keith Walker

Reply to
Scorpian

boston has some for the tourists too. best bang though, is still the freedom trail walk. i've probably done it 40 times with out of towners and get as much out as they do. i get to watch the hub change and evolve. the big dig is almost over and the sky is open, the north end is reunited and it's gorgeous.

Seattle has a bunch of them; not sure how many. I see them downtown all the time.

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Not just in the USA I went on the tour of Dublin in a DUKW. It was good fun. I think it might be a franchise!

Reply to
John Pickstock

Whoa! That would explain the fleet of 'em at Wisconsin Dells, too. IIRC, they sank one with a stern wave a couple years ago. I know *I* was scared while riding down that bank in it. The drivers, however (mostly college girls), were worth the trip.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; rode that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

I didn't know they could safely hold that many people? Sure they were designed to hold maybe a platoon of light infantry, but that was war, isn't 30 plus kinda rocking the boat? Mike IPMS

Reply to
Michael Keown

There were a couple in Glasgow last year. haven't seen them this year yet. The driver seemed quite proud when I just stood and stared at it... They are BIG!

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

There was a nice build review in Military in Scale (IIRC) based on a DUKW still in use by the Royal Navy at Portsmouth Harbour as a runaround. Only retired it last year, IIRC.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley

Metro Ducks

Jer038

There's also DC Ducks in Washington DC:

Vesa Halme

There's at least a couple of them in Qld - 1 in Gladstone (IIRC) and another on the Atherton Tablelands..

RobG (the Aussie > >

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

From my kids who were touring Boston, the word is the town's been designed to be impassable. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

cows grazed on the commons durin the revolution. there were three mountains, montremont, mt whoredom and beacon hill. montremont and mt whoredom were leveled to fill back bay. even beacon hill is 200 feet lower. great book called lost boston gives all the details. i remember when the custom house was the tallest building, copely square was a marshalling yard and cows grazed in cambridge.

Ooh, that hurts! But you got cite your culinary evidence!

The only famous sandwich I had in Steel town had fries in it. What's with that?

Keith Walker

: We ha em in Pittsburgh for years. : And better sandwiches too LOL!!!!!!

Reply to
Scorpian

started when workers came in and wanted it all in one. so the fries and sandwich, and even coleslaw all became one more or less homogenous mass. easier to eat and drive.

Baltimore city has two also and they do the same thing.

Dan Beavers

Reply to
Dan Beavers

It's a version of the working man sandwich. The guys used to get em while steel was king here. You get the whole meal with time to spare....

Reply to
Dennis L. Rodgick