Rommel's Rod, etc is coming back !

The Red Baron too -

Craig

Musicman59

I remember buying that Red Baron rod JUST to get that little triplane...I may have to do it again...

Reply to
Rufus

any idea when they're out?

Reply to
someone

te:

cult tv man just says some time in 2009. going to that site is just like reliving my 1970's model collection. fun place to browse.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

towerhobbies.com has them on preorder for $16.79 each that's where I buy my stuff.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to speak with Tom Daniels about Rommel's Rod, which I believe is the most requested reissue in model history. Current ebay auctions frequently list original unbuilt kits to be sold in the $250+ range. Not bad for a kit which originally sold for $2.50. He told me he wanted to reissue the kit as he said it was his most requested reissue of all of his previous projects. His comments were that due to contractual issues, then Revell-Monogram asserted co-copyright privileges on the kit molds which might have prevented their reissue without RM approval. Although TD held the original copyright and could assert his own claims for reissue, he was in negotiations with RM to reissue other projects and issue new ones and did not want to upset this relationship without RM cooperation. Further, despite the high interest in its reissue, Revell-Monogram did not believe the market demand for Rommel's Rod was high enough to profitably reissue the kit. (100,000 kits sold seems to be the minimum target for profitability for mass distribution by Revell) Also, glorifying the Nazi connection in such a fictional kit was feared politically incorrect and would prevent marketing in EU countries, further reducing its profitability.

In 2008, Moebius Models also announced on its website

that it was reissuing Rommel's Rod, but the reissue never came about. This past year at the 2008 IPMS Nationals in Virginia Beach, I also spoke with the owner of Moebius Models who told me that he obtained copyright permission from Tom Daniels but couldn't get it from Revell, thus preventing its reissue without serious and expensive legal battles with RM. Moebius attempted to negotiate with RM for the rights and offered to produce and market it solely at his costs granting RM a hefty license fee and guarantee of minimum sales, thus eliminating any financial risk to Revell. However, RM refused to release copyrights and even threatened legal action.

If the CultTVMan website reissue is accurate, apparently Revell has taken notice of the popularity of Rommel's Rod and potential profitability of reissuing it without sublicense and reconsidered the project.

Reply to
Kaliste Saloom

Well written and very accurate.

Also , The Dragon Wagon is being re-issued...original modified tooling is going to be re-modified back into the D/W It's going to be called The Circus Wagon. (From what I've heard).......Stan

Reply to
BAD 4 GOOD

what is the Dragon Wagon? something else besides the Tamiya tank transport?

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

what is the Dragon Wagon? something else besides the Tamiya tank transport?

Craig

Craig ,

The Dragon Wagon was desinged by Tom Daniel in the late 60's. It was definatly a show rod. Look it up at the show room or the guest gallery at the addy below

Stan

BAD 4 GOOD