sad day

ok, now it clicked. catton mentioned the bridge in his gettysburg book. prolly 30 years since i read that. damn brain is like fly paper.......mumble, mumble, sputter.......wheeze.
e wrote:

I really should read Mr. Catton's works sometime. In recent years Columbia has made a big deal of recreating the bridge burning. Of course, they do it in some farmer's field now. PennDOT would take a dim view of their trying to burn the one that crosses the river now. Besides, concrete doesnt catch well. :)
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

i love his descriptions of the civil war vets he knew as a child. one description of a guy picking berries with a pail hooked onto what was left of his forearm really sticks out. many contemporary historians are kind of, oh yeah, catton...while reading his books in private.
e wrote:

That was the state of medical care back in those days. Wounded in an extremity? Cut it off. I'm not sure if the death rate from infection was higher from the wound or the cure. Sounds like a Ron Smith question.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

apparently you had a really good chance with amputation and almost none with a shttered limb. i don't remember %, but it was over 70% surviving amputation. i also forgot the name of the method, but it was perfected in the 17th century. i know it involved a flap of skin over the cut matk and 4 sutures to seal it up. they weren't quite the dummies we think. ever read about the roman surgeon galen? he did sports medecine and even cosmetic surgery...brain surgery.
e wrote:

I wasn't thinking 'dummies' but the crush of numbers and limited facilities and supplies.
Yes, humanity keeps rediscovering things we already knew but forgot. That was a fascinating find in paleolithic dentistry that was published the other week and trepaining had been practiced way back then too. The worst time to be in a doctor's care seems to have been the early Renaissance when they thought they knew what they were doing.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
"William H. Shuey" wrote:

Nor Bird-in-Hand, also for real.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
...awaiting the report from Humptulips...