Most Attractive Phantom?

Hi Folks,

I'm building the 1/32 Revell Phantom F4F. I'm scouting around for attractive subjects to model. Any of you folks know of some nice schemes and where I can pick up these decals? Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks Bob

Reply to
boban_james

The Bicentennial Phantom had an awesome looking color scheme:

alan54

I've always thought that the SEA camouflage in its later, wraparound form was very attractive indeed. There are a number of nice schemes on the AirDoc sheet.

Also, as you have an F-4F kit, have you considered an F-4F in the mid-80s Norm81 air defence scheme? They were extremely attractive schemes and the Luftwaffe tried out a number of experimental hi-vis panels on them, so you have the potential for brightly coloured tails. They tended to get quite dirty, so you could also do some weathering. I'm not aware of any decal sheets for the Norm81 scheme, but I'm sure that the markings on the Airdoc Norm90 sheet can be adapted. That's what I'll be doing in 1/72.

Enzo Matrix

boban snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1145454257.659457.194840 @e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Attractive Phantom... now there's an oxymoron if I ever saw one... But I know what you mean.

RobG

Reply to
RobG

It's an F4-E or RF4-E, but the Luftwaffe tiger one. .with the tiger with monacle on the tail. That's the coolest one I have seen.

--- Tontoni

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Whatchu talkin about, Willis? The M-D F-4 was one of the most beautiful and powerful looking jets produced by the US. There were over 5000 produced. It was in US service for 38 years and is still being used by other nations.

Reply to
willshak

It was a hideous looking aircraft. It was ugly and brutal-looking. It received nicknames such as "Rhino" and "Double Ugly". The F-4 is not a pretty aircraft. Yet its capability and efficiency were the exact opposite of its looks.

However, it is one of the most interesting aircraft that you can build. It seems to me that, in the smaller scales, beautiful and graceful aircraft do not lend themselves as good modelling subjects. They always tend to look like toys. Try building a Hawker Hunter in 1/72. You need to open the canopy, drop the flaps and hang all sorts underneath the wings before it starts to look like a model.

The F-4, on the other hand, looks good in the smaller scales right from the word go. Add to that the fact that there are dozens of different variants and sub-variants, you can hang virtually anything you can think of under the wings and there are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of interesting colour schemes.

The F-4 is one of the best modelling subjects available. I should know. There is one on my workbench at the moment and another eleven in my stash! :-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose - I think it was wicked goodlooking. Elvis even sang a song about the Phantom to that fact. ;-)

"Good-ell, double-oh, kay-aye-en-gee"

And for its adversaries, the Phantom spelled "tee-argh-oh-yoo-bee-ell-ee".

WmB

Reply to
WmB

willshak wrote

Well, you got three out of four right. I personally like the quote (possibly apocryphal) attributed to the Marine colonel who was there at the birth, 'It's so ugly, it looks like it was delivered upside-down'. I really must search through my Phantom repherences to phind where I originally saw that phact.

No denying the aura though - I've got a dozen or so unbuilt in the stash, various scales / various kits, mostly Spey-engined Brits.

RobG

Reply to
RobG