Snow Plow?

That's the way I'm doing it! Whenever I get around to building the final Crapatorium it's going to be all underground. The top of the elevator shaft will look like a portapotty. No air conditioning during the summer and little heat during the winter. It's a wonder more people don't build like that... Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Keeping water out and getting fresh air in are problematic in the long run.

Reply to
Ron

It was touted to be tornado safe and warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer>>

Cowboy--We actually have a few around here, if they are what I think you're referring to. One for sure is in Aledo, IL, the others I'm not sure, either in Mercer (where Aledo is located) or Henry County, both in IL. One might even be here in Rock Island County, not sure offhand where the lines are. If you check with the county assessors they might be able to tell you.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

Bill - There are a number of such homes here in Western New York, mostly built into the sides of hills. Supposedly, they are very economical as to heating and cooling, but I can't say for sure as I have only seen them from the outside and never was inside one. Being built into a hillside, however, would alliviate any potential flooding problems.

The Old Timer
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

Bill wrote regarding in ground housing:

A passing fad methinks only about 100 centuries or more old.. Cavemen did it.

One of my neighbors has a house built into a hillside, deck and patio on the low side facing south, awnings on the south. He claims utility bills are half of what mine are for heating and cooling. He has been there for twenty five years and is happy. No tornados have gotten him yet, but one hasn't gotten me either.

My great grandmother grew up in a sod inground house in Kansas in the 1800's. Told me it was warm and cozy during the great blizzard of whatever year that was.

My neighbor's house does look a wee bit funny with two Great Danes lazing on the roof in the evening.

HVAC costs ought to great, ground temp. at 5' below prevailing grade usually runs 55 to 60F year round.(even when ambient air is 32 to 105F).

I prefer a conventional house with a 'fraidy hole! You can always store models, less decals, in the storm shelter. No heat damage like the attic.

Have a Great New Year guys!! Rick MFE

P.S. The Great Grandmother on the other side grew up in a teepee farther southwest about the same time and never complained about the weather either. All she bitched about was the "White eyes" :-)

Reply to
OXMORON1

Didn't know you Yankees ever saw the Sun during Winter. Thought yo'uns sat on the tenement steps during the Summer. Darn, learn something every day :-)

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

wasn't there an "earth home" movement in the 60's? or did i take too much lds?

Digital_Cowboy

Wow! I didn't take you for a Mormon.

:-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

ya lost me with that one tom. latter day saints? or am i missing something?

Yep, you caught it.

Of course we all know you meant lsd (or maybe too many lids?).

Tom

Those who remember the sixties weren't there.

Reply to
Maiesm72

actually paying homage to the star trek whale movie. where kirk explains spokos weirdness by saying too much lds in the 60's. best line in an otherwise maudlin much fest.

Figure you're a Mormon (LDS) or the acid (LSD) made you dyslexic.....

The Old Timer

All the ones that I saw (all three or four of them) had one wall (with windows) exposed, like the mouth of a cave. Nowadays, there is a product on the market that was developed in Japan where natural daylight is captured and directed down a mirror-lined tube into the house. I'm told that it was developed in Japan for folks that lived in high-rises that were built next to each other with little or no window space. I've seen these used to light dark hallways and such.

The Old Timer

dyslexics untie!!!!

orb, no thgir!

BmW