Toothpaste for Paint Polishing Question

At a local car show, there was a model car contest. In complimenting one of the guys about how great the paint finish was on his model cars, he told me that he simply used a spray can and polished out the paint with toothpaste. He said he used the basic Crest toothpaste, not the gel type. He claimed that the mild abbrasive contained within the toothpaste was perfect for polishing the paint to a mirror smooth finish.

Anyone out there use this same paint polishing method? If so, any additional techniques that need to be used with this polishing method?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
MAYSUN5961

I haven't used this to polish paint, but I have used crest to polish out scratches in a canopy and it should work for model car windshields too.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

yes, lots of household products are used in modelling and not actually what they are for..........

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Haven't used it on paint (not knowing what the interaction would be with the toothpaste,) but I have used it on canopies. Leaves 'em shiny and minty fresh!

Reply to
EGMcCann

Used it on pretty much all parts, colored and clear plastic.

Works great, just need to make real sure it's completely removed during a pre-paint washing.

Never used it on painted parts though, I'm guessing it would be too abrasive.

F Marion

Reply to
francis marion

It's got the right abrasive content to polish up paint and plastic. Find one that's highly abrasive like UltraBrite. The gell types don't have the abrasive, just foamy mouthwash. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Keeper has it. I've been using UltraBrite as a rubbing compound for 10 yrs or better. It works great on bare plastic, clear parts or on paint. At $1-2 a tube, you can save a lot more money for kits instead of spending it on Novus

Use a very old, soft and close weave T-shirt (not polo) as you pad, using at least two thicknesses. You can either pull it over 1-2 finger tips or fold up some more to form the size 'pad' needed. You can use it straight from the tube or slightly dampen your 'pad'. Like Brylcream....a little dab'l do ya. Rub in small circles (where you can) until the pad starts to drag a bit. If you go much beyond that point, the paste has gotten too dry and can put gouges in your finish.

You can end up with a finish so smooth and shiny, you may not need (or want) a clear coat.

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEearthlink.net Springfield OH

Reply to
CSRZ28

Right! Just like the old days of spit-shining my shoes....

The Old Timer

I have also used toothpaste for transparent parts. It worked, but I found a new trick for this. If there are small scratches or cloudy areas, hit it with a spray of Testors Gloss Coat.

I used to always polish plexi parts when scratch build>

Reply to
Don Stauffer