WAY OT: For all Marine Vets - General Ray Davis

I realize this is off-topic for modeling but I just figgured the Marine vets out there on RMS might want to know that General Raymond G. Davis passed away yesterday morning of a heart attack. He was 88 years old. The family has asked that there be no calls of condolences, etc - they are still working with the Marine Corps regarding funeral arrangements.

As a Marine Company-grade officer in WW-II General Davis won two Silver Stars and the Navy Cross. In 1950, General Davis, as a LtCol and commander of 1/7, won the Medal of Honor during the breakout from the Chosin and rescue of the trapped Fox Co, 2/7. In 1968-69, then Maj Gen Davis commanded the 3rd Marine Division in Vietnam and he later rose to the rank of 4-star Genera, serving as Assistant Commandant of the Marines before retiring in 1971.

The last time I saw the General and his wife was about a month ago when I had breakfast with him and his wife when they were visiting Washington DC and he was looking a bit unwell then. General Davis was one hell of a Marine; a true hero, and a fine gentleman. He will be missed by all but none more than the brotherhood of Marines.

Semper fi........Bill

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

Reply to
Bill Woodier