What about Heller?

"Don Harstad" wrote in news:ejnfbd$1pd$ snipped-for-privacy@news.netins.net:

Or "you want a picture of WHAT???" Some of the correspondence I had with the PAO aboard Constitution was humorous (mildly), but little was helpful. You'd think they'd encourage people to build the model, and build it accurately.

cd

Reply to
Carl Dershem

snip

I found the running rigging instructions okay. On the Soleil Royale, which i am in the midst of rigging, I am doing the standing rigging ON THE MODEL, not in the jig. I am also using some aftermarket deadeyes and blocks, but on the whole cannot complain

In fact, the running rigging instructions on the Heller kit are better than what I got on another current project, a French 74 by one of those Spanish companies, a $300 kit!

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Funny you mention the Constitution, I'm doing the same! I've been at the model overall for almost 3 years but have taken some serious time away for other things. I'm right inthe middle of the standing rigging,well, was when I last did it about 4 months ago.

Amusing!!! Another book I also have but have not looked at in a long while. Isn't it generic in its approach to rigging or am I way off base here? Seems I have another specific to the USS Constitution too. Hmmm, now I need to go dust off the library before I get too much further with her. Plus it may 'enlighten' me for when I break open the Victory.

Grandpa John

Reply to
John DeBoo

Ahhhhh, understood - thanx. Grandpa John

Reply to
John DeBoo

Arrrrrrrrggghhhhh, that comes AFTER the Victory (I have 2 Soleil Royales), one I bought long ago before ME closed them out and another from an estate sale. The gentleman who passed had amassed something on the order of perhaps 5000+ models. They filled 3 bedrooms on all 4 walls, a large den with a center display of them on 2 sides (table top to ceiling mind you), and a washroom. Plus a room that was all books and decals. A rarity was finding an opened box. Mostly aircraft but a few ships. Grandpa John

Reply to
John DeBoo

John DeBoo wrote in news:95SdnYvjsaNFN8LYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I have WAY too little time to spend on the model, which is why it is taking so long. I have the standing rig done, and am about halfway through the running rig. Alas, the time to sew the sails has been eluding me for the past month or three.

I use the book for the generic stuff, and diagrams and pictures from the Connie herself for parts that are wildly different. Fortunately for me, this is just a hobby (yeah, I know that's blasphemy here, but you can't win 'em all), and it doesn't have to be perfect.

Well, a cross between hobby and therapy. Hmmm...

cd

Reply to
Carl Dershem

Where was this? Just curous as it sounds familiar.

Tom

John DeBoo wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

Reply to
John DeBoo

Serious case of OCD!

Bill Shuey (who is just a minor case!!) :-)

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Get a decal made, or make one yourself? Shouldn't be too far fetched..

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

ok, where?

  1. André avait soumis l'idée :

Hi gang, some news about Heller and these news are not bad at all.

First session in the court very well happened and all the hopes are allowed for the future of the French brand. Moulds and brand stay well in France and the company can continue to live. The next session of the court, definitive, will be on January 26, 2007, but Heller should be saved.

Airfix now: brand was acquired by the giant Americain Hornby but all the moulds left towards China!!!! Bad news!!!

Reply to
Flying Frog

That *is* good news!

Hornby is British! The manufacturing facilities are in China but the design and marketing is in the UK. Having Humbrol and Airfix owned by Hornby can only be A Good Thing.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix a présenté l'énoncé suivant :

Oops, sorry... You think the moulds are always Airfix prop but in China? Yes, in this case it can be interesting.

Reply to
Flying Frog

nodnodnod That's how Hornby normally work. And... if Hornby do for the plastic kit industry what they have done recently for the model railway industry, then we could have a treat in store for us...

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

thanks chris.....airfix should be ok. those molds are just too valuable.

what, a 30% increase in prices? sure hope not.

e vient de nous annoncer :

Yes, you're right. In my mind, modelling is more called Heller or Airfix (even Matchbox :'( ) than Trumpeter or Tamiyagawa... I'm an old modeller, and I like to work myself on the kits I build... not only shake the box... ;o)

Reply to
Flying Frog

Have a look at the old-style Hornby Black 5 and the new style one. A 30% increase is a small price to pay!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

yeah, i rattle the boxes too. you don't build trupeter later kits, you have a project with one. i flat out don't like their recent 10,000 part aircraft kits they are overpriced, engineered,and complicate. i like detail but 54 parts for a control stick........?