Yankee Model Works / Resin Question

I am thinking about buying a kit from Yankee Model Works. I have not
worked with resin. When researching resin modeling in general, there
has been several references to soaking all the parts in Westleys Bleach
White before beginning. On a large kit, like a ship, this is going to
take a big container and lots of Bleach White. Is this necessary or
are there better ways to deal with this problem.
Reply to
Count DeMoney
Use a big container so you don't make a mess and just spray the hull with Blechewhite, let sit 20 minutes or so, scrub with toothbrush and rinse. Do that before you do anything else then when you're ready to prime the subassemlies spray them down with Blechewhite again but you don't need to let it sit, just a light scrub with the toothbrush (which will also dislodge and sanding dust) and rinse well.
Count DeM> I am thinking about buying a kit from Yankee Model Works. I have not
Reply to
Ron Smith
Hello Count,
that you live in or near the Denver metro area. If so, call Col-Par hobbies in Aurora (303) 341-0414 and ask for Hugh. If you did not know, some of the best resin ship kits, parts and accessories are designed, mastered, and cast right here in Denver. Hugh has his own (very professional) casting set up and can and will probably answer any question you might have about resin preparation, construction and painting of those types of products. Ol' 45 (Highlands Ranch)
Reply to
Ol' 45
Thanks for the info. Colpar is 4 or 5 miles from my office. I'm one of those crazy people who lives in Colorado Springs and works in south Denver.... I will call Hugh and see if I can meet him face to face for a conversation. The resin is more expensive but, I think, I will probably be happier with the build process and finished model.
Reply to
Count DeMoney
I am a resin model manufacturer and I have read the same thing, and from I heard it works very well. However, there is really no need to spend any money specifically for clensing resin parts. Liquid dishwasing detergent mixed with water and a light scrub with a toothbrush and rinse will yield the same results. All you are wanting to do is remove the release agent used during the molding stage of production and any dust left over from sanding. But if you want use the Bleach White, go for it.
Rusty White Flagship Models Inc. flagshipmodels.com
Reply to
Rusty White
No question resin kits generally result in a better model......there are a few exceptions because of inconsistent or outright crappy quality of castings.
Count DeM> Thanks for the info. Colpar is 4 or 5 miles from my office. I'm one
Reply to
Ron Smith
Blechewhite is specifically formulated to strip silicone from tires, that's basically what Armor-All and such are. The newer Smooth-On resins used by a lot of the current casters have a nasty habit of retaining silicone mold release on the surface. About 1 in 5 kits will have major paint adhesion problems (no matter what you use as a base coat) if not cleaned with Blechewhite. It's happened to me 3 times in the last 15 kits I built that used Smooth-On resin.
Reply to
Ron Smith

Site Timeline