Yankee Model Works USS West Virginia BB-47

I am primarily a model railroader but would like to build a model of the
West Virginia. What are your thoughts on these kits? Any recommendations?
Any must have after market parts I should be aware of?
Thanks,
Scott Seders
Reply to
Scott Seders
: I am primarily a model railroader but would like to build a model of the : West Virginia. What are your thoughts on these kits? Any recommendations? : Any must have after market parts I should be aware of? : Check:
One of both sites likely have a review of the kit...
Bruce
Reply to
Bruce Burden
This is the old Blue Water Navy kit, resin and white metal, comes with PE. I would not try a battleship as your first resin ship, I'd get a White Ensign Models destroyer like their soon to be re-released USS Reuben James or their HMS Kelly or Janus. Things I'd replace with aftermarket on the WeeVee (since you asked) would be the scout planes, main gun barrels and all unturreted guns.....L'Arsenal makes the guns and barrels. You might consider L'Arsenal boats as well. I'd also scratchbuild the cage masts from .008" diameter phosphor bronze wire.
Scott Seders wrote:
Reply to
Ron Smith
ny recommendations?
Or you can wait a couple of years to see if Trumpeter releases one in plastic.
Reply to
tomcervo
Why, so he can spend as much as the resin kit costs in the first place to buy PE and then replace everything Trumpeter screws up? Trumpeter's USN ships are mostly crap from the engineering, detail finesse and accuracy standpoints. They completely screwed the pooch on North Carolina, Alabama and Massachussetts and those three ships still exist in 1:1 form! If he's going to wait for plastic he should pray that Dragon decides to kit it instead of Trumpeter. At least if Dragon does it they'll pay for actual research and development plus he'll be able to build it without using two tubes of putty and replacing half the kit parts with aftermarket or scratchbuilt. How many 1/350 ships has Trumpeter released, 20 or 30? They still haven't figured out what a few basic things look like such as watertight doors, bitts, chocks, hawse pipes, propellers and anchors, let alone 20mm, 1.1" and 40mm guns. Trumpeter Models, chinese for we don't care we got your money again sucker!
Reply to
Ron Smith
Shit is shit and overpriced shit is just insulting.......especially when they plateaued a few years ago and have pretty much backslid since.
Reply to
Ron Smith
that is the most relevant fact to my having built a grand total of 1, (one) of their kits. and that was basically because the most esteemed cookie told me i would get 2 sets of tracks. that kit was the kv2, and i had a tamyia already built, with what cookies says were way bad tracks. thanks to that good advice, i have the rubber band and vastly better looking set on the tamy and the painstaking piece set on the trumpy. that made it economically viable in the face of what accurate tracks would have cost me singly. now the trumpy is a better quality kit. but it was about 1 1/2 the tamy's price and is almost 40 years newer. since then, i have seen nothing, (0) that i had to have by trumpeter. i could handle the me 262. it is the only aircraft kit they make that i would actively persue. as an asked for gift. so you nailed them exactly for my needs.
Reply to
someone

Site Timeline