You Know You're a Hard-Core Modeler When...

An e-mail comes with "Perfectly Accurate Markings" in the title and you think "decals!" rather than "phony watches".

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen Bierce

Or the first time you watched "The Avengers" was because you half expected an aircraft story.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

What?You don't buy watches from Eagle Strike?!

The first time I watched it,in reruns,I was probably about 5 and thought I was going to see Captain America and Iron Man (I was a huge comic geek as a kid). :)

Reply to
eyeball

When your typewriter falls over onto the Russian glider that you finished five minutes before and you actually gather the pieces together and re-build it. Then decide to use it in a diorama!

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

You have a TYPEWRITER??????

Reply to
The Old Man

You actually dont get high from glue fumes anymore....

Reply to
JLEJONES

i have an old underwood with a built on table. just because it's cool

Reply to
someone

You watch CSI and you're hot for the crazy chick building the neat diorama (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote: : : When your typewriter falls over onto the Russian glider that you : finished five minutes before and you actually gather the pieces : together and re-build it. Then decide to use it in a diorama! : Ummmm, how is it that a piece of antiquity "falls over" in the first place?

And second, what was said antiquity doing next to the workbench?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Bruce

rden =A0 =A0Austin, TX.

The workbench is a good sized table, about 6' x 3'. The far side of the table has fifteen of the eighteen index card drawers with all of the cataloging and cross-referencing of the contents of a 7000+ volume aviation library. In front of the card files to the left are my modeling supplies. To the right is said antiquated appliance and "The Mess" (which gets cleaned up about twice per year). In front of my is the laptop, which goes on top of the card files when not in use (the printer is also up there along with the current project). Then there are lights, magnifiers and stuff. When I work on a model I have a nice space, about 18" x 24", with the typewriter upended to the right.

What happened to the glider was this: Upon finishing it I pushed away from the table to show it to Lynne and the typewriter got bumped just enough to topple onto the model. One of the results was a need for a new typewriter. With tens of thousands of file cards I won't live long enough to transfer all of it to disks. Office Depot, where I have purchased the last two, had one at a good price after I threw the kid through the window who asked "What's a typewriter?". The writing's on the wall, I know. I'll pick up a couple more and a ton of ribbon cassets and correction rolls that should last me until I chuck it all.

BTW, that glider diorama got me out of several years of AMS, during which I built one model for myself in between filling orders. Since then I've completed four vignettes and a "what-if" aircraft and actually worked on some of the two dozen to-do kits in the stack.

Cheers,

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Ste=3D

I have one also (it was my dad's) that's about seventy-five years old and looks like it was used on the set of the movie "The Front Page". Trouble is I have a very hard time getting ribbons for it any more. Damn thing weights a ton too.

Reply to
The Old Man

I can't even smell them anymore...

Reply to
eyeball

you bring a model to build on your honeymoon because you think nothing intresting gonna happen

Drew Caldwell

Did you say "Oh dear"? ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"Enzo Matrix" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Oi vey!!

RobG (The Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

Ste=

Mine's a portable and I've had it since 7th grade. I 'needed' it for term papers. About 10 years ago I had it cleaned and reconditioned. Unfortunately the dealer couldn't replace the old platen so he just sanded it down to get rid of all the years of indentations.

I'm not sure of ribbon availability but the place I used to buy them went out of business. I did buy a couple extra on my last visit so I can still use it. I may have trouble re-learning how to really pound the keys since I had to learn NOT to do that with a keyboard.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

weak, i use swears. helps.

Reply to
someone

Uh, no. A little stronger than that and in several languages.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Personally I find German a great language for strong wordage. It's all those lovely hard consonants. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

If it weren't for those gender specific articles, like Die, Das, and Der, instead of just one for all, like 'The' in English.

Reply to
willshak