2003 & 2004

I'm very tempted to try to install 2004 in a different partition and run it with 2003. Has more than one person tried this? I tried it with 2001+ & 2003 and didn't have a lot of luck. Also has anyone tried an install of 2004 with XP Home addition? Athlon 1.2gig processor. Rudy

Reply to
Rudy Kube

Different partitions won't make a difference since they still share the same O.S. registry and common file locations unless you set up a dual boot system to keep them totaly seperate.

Dave H

Reply to
Dave H

I don't know about having them both on XP home but I have SW01+, SW03 and SW04 installed all on one drive. I have 4 computers and they are all setup like that. 2 are running Windows 2000 and 2 are running XP Pro. The key is you have to install Sw into different directories. If you look at your Registry you will see how it's setup and you will notice that it makes one Solidworks folder and under that there are the different versions. So I don't know why you couldn't make it work, other than the fact you install into the same directory.

As for Dave's reply: Why would someone have to use a dual boot system? If you install each version to it's own folder or directory then each version should operate by itself. try customizing your installs and for each version of SW you add the version number behind it (EX: solidworks01+, solidworks03, solidworks04)\

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

Mr. Rudy -

I have here the XP home and both installed of 2003 and the 2004 and it works too well.

Stabilities and good ups time.

Sincerefully,

Habib

Reply to
Habib

I installed 2004 on the same drive but different folder than 2003. It was obvious that 2004 picked up a lot of the settings out of 2003, so therefore the conclusion is that it found the registry entries and copied or shared them.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

A dual boot system would keep the registries totaly seperate. I don't reccommend it though.

Dave H.

Scott wrote:

Reply to
Dave H

That maybe, but I can change the setting between the 2 versions and the other one doesn't change to match.

Regards, Scott

solidworks04)\

Reply to
Scott

So it may be that it copies what it finds and then keeps them separate.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I also have 2001+, 2003 & 2004 installed on the same drive in separate folders. No problems, but you can tell that the installations affect each other in minor ways.

All add-ins checked for any version of SW will be checked for all. This is most dramatic in regard to the Bluebeam pdf writer. After installing 2004, I can now write a pdf file from 2003. Also there is a major plotting/printing problem in 2004. I can still plot as usual from 2003, but cannot plot to my HP DesignJet 700c from 2004. (for some reason, 2004 WILL print to my Epson

1520.)

I say go for it.

jk

Reply to
John Kreutzberger

For the most part yes, but there is still a problem with add-ins. To test that try activating Edrawings 2004 and open SW03. You should see in the add-ins of SW03 there is a Edrawings 2004 add-in. SW03 can't use Edrawings04. It is recommended that Edrawings 03 becomes uninstalled when using SW04 and edrawings 04. The add-ins are still a problem between versions.

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott