Adobe and .u3d file format and Design Show Take

What is the scoop on Solidwork's support for this universal 3D file format?
I returned from the design/engineering show in Chicago and one would think
this was a standard already.
Adobe Acrobat 7.0 has positioned itself for the future, the demo was quite impressive (most demos are) and replaces some of eDrawings functionality.
Keith
PS Has anyone notice the show getting smaller? I also notice Autodesk was not present at all! NO BOOTH! Does this state their marketing $ for a show as such does to equate to increased sales? Or maybe they just don't feel adiquate in the 3D world to SW, SE and PE?
Keith Streich wrote:

format?
think
quite
functionality.
SW is going to have to [reluctantly] support the UDF format. I think Acrobat 3D will eat into their eDrawings shares big time, so I doubt they will want to be the first out of the gate with a U3D exporter.
The only software I found that can publish U3D formats right now is from Right Hemisphere. They have some sample 3D PDFs at
http://www.righthemisphere.com/company/links/solutions/Adobe/index.htm
They looked great on one computer I viewed them on and didn't work on another, so I don't know how robust the Acrobat 3D is yet. I think the bar is set pretty low, however, as eDrawings doesn't seem to be the most stable app.
Joel
I wonder how much they'll care if they have to support this format. I've always suspected that the entire purpose of eDrawings was to try to displace .dwg and .dxf as the defacto exchange format for drawings. Now SW is trying to break the upgrade cycle for Acad users by offering a free translator for older versions of Acad. .dwg has been the cash cow of AutoDesk for something like a decade, and anything that undermines AutoDesk's financial footing may be seen as a good thing by SW. Just as long as onother competing CAD company doesn't control the standard exchange format, AutoDesk will be weakened as a competitior.
I would think this format will dominate our market in the next few years for sure (they have to work out some of the bugs and getting more free/paid users onboard! eDrawings will most likely loose.. sadly edrawings is a neat program but it has never quite worked right!?
..

Just checked out this new 3d pdf (u3d) stuff. Certainly looks promising.
One question, in Adobe Reader 7.0.0, there is a Preferred Renderer setting under Edit>Preferences. My only option here is 'Software.' Is there any way to force a hardware renderer to improve performance? Perhaps Adobe just does not have the option available yet in the early versions....
Functionality wise, so far I think eDrawing has it beat, but that could quickly change with Adobe's resouces. Adobe - no section view Adobe - no drag parts around Adobe - no measure function probably more
Arlin wrote:

could
I think eDrawings is likely the better choice for communicating with a manufacturer who needs all of the information built into your CAD data, especially if they are running SW.
Acrobat will likely be a better solution for everyone else. Companies already use PDF to publish brochures and specs online. I can see where 3D animations, models, etc. would be embedded in the document and used for marketing all kinds of products. Inherent advantages for Acrobat include the vastly larger install base and the ability to build attractively laid-out documents that include content other than CAD data/drawings (images, logos, and other branding).