Attaching Cylinder to surface

I'm having problems figuring out how to draw a cylinder that will be attached to the side of a flat surface. Picture a wall with a cylinder attached to the wall in the same orientation as a toilet paper tube (dispenser) - i.e. length is parallel to wall.

So what are the steps to do this in Solidworks? The tutorials don't seem to have this example. Assume I've selected the plane, now what buttons precisely to I click to make this happen?

Thanks,

Brian

Reply to
Brian Bagnall

If the "Right" plane is the wall...

Create a sketch on the "Front" plane. Draw a circle, where one edge approximately touches the "Right" plane. Click "dimension", and give the circle a diameter. Then exit the dimension command. Then click on the circle, and CTRL + click on the Right plane (either in the viewing area, or in the FeatureManager on the left). The PropertyManager should come up, with the option for a "tangent mate". Select that. Now just define the height (dimension from the Top plane), and you will have a fully constraint circle with the right plane.

Exit the sketch (upper right corner of the viewing area, click the check mark). Then click on the sketch in the viewing area. Now use Insert>Boss/Base>Extrude, and give the cylinder it's 3rd dimension.

Reply to
Charles Culp