autozoom extents when changing view orientations

Is there a way/setting to prevent SW from autozooming to extents when selecting any of the pre-defined views or using the "normal to" view? Guessing its a simple setting somewhere, but can't seem to find it.

Reply to
Brian

Not that I know of - that's a programmed-in function of those views.

If that is something you really want to do, you could modify the numpad macros to give you the views without the zoom change. But the reason for it is because when you go to a particular view, what if it's all off the screen?

Or are you asking for something that changes to that orientation, but by rotating 3D around the center of your current screen view? I don't know how to do that just offhand.

Oh by the way, "to extents" is ACAD terminology - the SW API call is ViewZoomtofit. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

The "rotate about screen center, to a specific orientation, without zooming, funtion" is what I was after. Perhaps the name was too long to place in a tooltip so the funtion was never added . When zoomed way in to see/fix relatively small surfaces, I find myself rotating the model slightly to see around, or select behind, entities in the foreground. A lot of actions screw up the ability to use the previous view funtion. Maybe I'll see if I can write a macro.

ACAD huh.... luckily I was never saddled with having to learn the program... wonder where I picked it up?

Reply to
Brian

Just a thought - you do know, don't you, that you can MMB a point and then click and hold the MMB and rotate around that point? If you didn't, that might work for you. If you did, then never mind.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I know about double MMB click to rotate around a face or edge, but not about a point. How does that work? Sometimes, I randomly (apparently, since it always takes me by surprise and don't recall what I clicked) I get a rotate about edge instead of pan with Ctrl+MMB drag. Is this a feature I don't know about? or just a bug with the key driver?

Reply to
Boat

When you pick a vertex as your rotation point, you can go all directions, which I pretty much always do. If you just click somewhere on a face, you get a rotation about an axis that is perpendicular to that face. This can seem quite random if you don't understand it.

As far as your Ctrl issue, my guess is that you don't get the Ctrl made before the mouse click. I find myself doing that once in a while.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany