Can I map "PartNumber" in SW to "Number" in PDMWorks?

Hello,

We are currently implementing PDMWorks in our office. PDMWorks has a standard property called Number, which I assume is intended to be the part number. We use the PartNumber parameter assigned in the Configuration Properties ($partnumber in Design tables) as the part number for BOM's. Is it possible to map that parameter to the Number property (or any PDMWorks property for that matter)? Or is there a way to bring the PartNumber into Configuration Specific Properties which could then be mapped to a PDMWorks property?

Reply to
cwsink

yes, it in the admin tool.

Reply to
kenneth

Kenneth,

I understand the property mapping...However, PartNumber as assigned via the configuration properties (User Specified Name selected OR $partnumber in a design table) is not a custom property. Hence my question since I don't know what Custom Property to use.

Thank you,

Craig S.

Reply to
cwsink

If I understand correctly, using a single part for multiple p/n's with cause nothing but grief. I highly recommend one p/n = one file.

If you insist on going down this road you may want to look at another PDM. IMHO, configurations (whether driven by design table or not) are a great feature. I just don't think managing p/n's (revision) is one of it's strong suits.

Reply to
kenneth

Kenneth,

The revision management is not a problem for us here. We've already established our partnumber system and revision system and it works with PDMWorks. All I need is to get that partnumber to show up in PDMWorks through PDMWorks properties.

Thank you,

Craig S.

Reply to
cwsink

Kenneth,

The revision management is not a problem for us here. We've already established our partnumber system and revision system and it works with PDMWorks. All I need is to get that partnumber to show up in PDMWorks through PDMWorks properties.

Thank you,

Craig S.

Reply to
cwsink

Sorry for the lecture. PDMW will only map to Custom Properties.

Reply to
kenneth

i have no knowledge of this area, but it might be possible to program thru the API.

Reply to
kenneth

Kenneth,

Thanks for that. I'll look into that.

Craig S FDI

Reply to
cwsink

So, perhaps what is needed is an API macro that moves that info into a custom property?

Reply to
fcsuper

thanks, already figured that out. see previous thread.

Reply to
kenneth