Centre Lines in drawings - associativity

Anyone see this happen?

Make a part and use the hole wizard to create a tapped hole. Detail the hole in a drawing Add a centre line - then Dimension to the line. For some reason the hole now must become a clearance hole. Back to hole wizard (piece of cake to change) Return to the drawing and the centre lines havelost their assosiativity and hence too the dimension.

The original point vertex by which the hole is located on the part is untouched so why do we loose the associativity??

steve

Reply to
SWalker

Hello can you send me those files, I will like to see them. It is kind of weird?

Reply to
ianfalu

Hello can you send me those files or post them here, I will like to see them. It is kind of weird?

Reply to
ianfalu

" snipped-for-privacy@solidworks.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Sure

Can I post them here, or do you have a preffered address?

steve

Reply to
Locutus

" snipped-for-privacy@solidworks.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Hi

It's a simple problem I explained it in my original post. I will try to be more clear.

Make a simple part. Umm, say a cube.

put a hole in it using the wizard. (I pre-select a face first as I preffer to edit the sketch after the hole is created and do so frequently)

make a drawing and add center lines then add dimensions. (I always dimension to the center line because dimensioning to the hole overlaps the center line thus obscuring the customary 1/16 gap)

go back to the part and change the type of hole. Counter Bore type is the problem one. (So, start with a tapped hole - make the drawing - change the hole to a C- bored hole)

now change the position of the hole on the part (not necessary since the center line and extension line changes colour indicating a breach in associativity but provides dramatic clarity)

I can provide a part and drawing if you need. Shall I post them to this news group? Or do you have a preffered address?

regards steve

Reply to
SWalker

Centerline is created from the edges of the hole, thus chaniging the hole from threaded to clearance changes the actual geometry and the centerline does not "know" its place anymore. Associating a sketched centerline to the point on the holepattern would be the answer but very time consuming....

Reply to
Kvick

Kvick wrote in news:fk%cf.136$ snipped-for-privacy@read3.inet.fi:

Very Interesting. Are you sure?

Like you said, It really makes more sense to attach to the center point. I can't see why it would be more time consuming. After all, the sketch circle in the drawing representing the hole in the first place, already has that informtion.

It would seem to me that changing the hole type might force the drawing to destroy and recreate the the sketch circle. In a warped way that kinda makes sense. But why do that. I suppose in the case of changing from a through hole to a blind hole or where a hole partially breaks torough a skewed face (or curved face) then hidden or partially hidden lines are required, which would necessitate two arcs, one of which is solid line type and the other hidden line type. But who cares. the original center point remains the same and the drawing hase that information or must retrieve it. either way it's location is always available before the center line is placed.

The hole type and center as well as the face on which the hole point rests are readily available to the drawing. I don't see where the extra work comes from.

An interesting discussion and it prompted me to conduct a little experiment.

I created a tapped hole and then centerlined it in a drawing. I changed the tapped hole to a clearance hole - the center lines remained attached.

I changed the clearance hole to a countersinked hole - center lines remain attached

Changed from c-sink to c-bore and the centerlines lost associativity.

Changed back to tapped hole and voila! the center lines reaquired their assiciativity.

Now that's interesting.

Anyone else notice this?

Cheers

steve

Reply to
SWalker

" snipped-for-privacy@solidworks.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Hi

Can you tell me what you discovered and what SW is doing about it?

steve

Reply to
SWalker