Configuration specific bitmap-previews KILL PERFORMANCE!

Hi,

My template part " Hollow_section.sldprt" consisting of approx 50 configurations with different sizes, just went from 350kb to 4,5Mb when saving it with SWX2003 (made in SWX2001) and my VAR says it's because of configuration specific bitmap-previews...

Is there a way to switch of this "brilliant" function in SWX2003??

or

does anyone know of a software similar to UNFRAG or ECOSQUEEZE which will actually delete the configuration specific bitmap previews wich SWX2003 creates every time you activate an configuration?

TIA,

KimSky

Reply to
Kim

I don't know that it kills performance per-say does take up quite a bit more disk space. Personally I think space is cheap. 40-120 gig drives ship with most new computers don't they. It does slow saving down a bit. But stripping them won't necessarily speed up your performance. Could anyone else say with any certainty wether it would slow down loading of a file, or configurations?

Corey Scheich

Reply to
Corey Scheich

It matters quite a bit when you store all your files on a network resource as I do. (With ever increasing network traffic.)

Reply to
]{ilr]3

Hi again,

I've just learned from my VAR that the only way to strip these files from their (from my point of view useless bitmap-information) is to open up the part(s) and use SaveAs to a different name. Now just how smart a SW-feature is this??? First spend 5-10 min saving your template parts as your PC will become useless during the time it's trying to save all the configuration specific bitmap previews. Then when your PC finally stops saving, your template part has gone from 300kb to 5Mb and become useless as a template part. Now I'm using these template parts about 100-200 times per each project so the increase in storage space needed per each project is not that small.

For example a project with 100 copies of these "new" template parts will add an additional 400Mb of useless bitmap information to my server and I'm quite sure this will not help performance when opening and saving this project! I'm also storing on a network recource so....

I vote that this "brilliant" SW-feature should be optional, what about you?

TIA,

KimSky

Reply to
KimSky

Hello

I've experienced the same thing with a few table-driven multiple-configuration parts. (boy...that was a mouthful.) I've actually abandoned them in a way.

I've used my old multi... parts as "seed" files. I saved each configuration as a separate file with only one configuration. As long as they are all created from the same "seed" file, the different parts can be easily swapped using the "replace" command and all of the mates are automatically re-connected. It works great, I haven't had a failed mate yet, and my assemblies are nice and small. I'm not sure how you would apply this to template files, but it works great with part files. Don't delete the original "seed" files because you can always go back and create additional new parts.

Reply to
Roger Meloche