Cut List and BOM editing

A limitation of cut lists in SW is that you can only have one cut list per sheet. I am also running into other difficulties the way I was trying to use this feature.

I am creating structures for a theater using welded square tubing. The way I dimension the drawing is to create the parts the way the shop would weld them together; the base frame is welded first, then the top frame, then the walls are welded together, then all of them are put together. Finally, additional bracing or other additions are added.

To show the base by itself on the drawing, it must be a single weldment separate from the walls or top frame. I would like a cut list for the entire structure, but it cannot be generated from the separate weldments.

Any suggested ways to do this>

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
cadcoke3

One way we get around this is to make a configuration in your weldment and add a "Delete Body" feature to get rid of the sub weldment bodies for your drawing views. I keep meaning to look into the Sub Weldment feature to see if it would help with this problem but I haven't had a chance. I haven't found a way around the one cut list per sheet limitation though. It is especially frustrating since you can have multiple BOMs per sheet.

Todd

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

separate

Reply to
tbryant

Thanks for the idea. In my case, I am not using the cut list to identify the length of parts, just for materials estimate of the entire structure. So, it should work well for me.

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
cadcoke3

Hi Joe,

I've been in this situation recently as well. Sub-weldments allow you to 'split up' a larger weldment but the resulting sub-welments part file does not carry any properties with it so you cannot generate a proper cutlist from a sub-weldment. The SW help specifically mentions that this should work but my var checked and apparently the help file is in error. The sw help also mentions that changes to the sub-weldment file will reflect back to the main weldment but this is obviously wrong as the sub-weldment is just derived bodies and behaves just like any derived part file.

Zander

Reply to
Zander

Perhaps the intended spec says this... we can only but hope...

Reply to
Aussie