SW Weldments and Cut-lists - How do I?

I've got a fabricated frame made up of various bits n pieces of extrusion. It gets pretty busy when all the parts are welded together.
I created five sheets - each sheet illustrates the next step in the fabrication process.
Each succesive step includes the previous weldments.
What I would like to do.
Step 1 - cut-list is shown - all components are ballooned. Step 2 - I want to show the previous step components in phantom with the new components displayed. I only want to display the "new" components to Step 2 cut-list. Step 3 - Repeat phantom of step 1 and step 2 - showing only new step 3 components. Cut-list only displays "new components".
Unlike assemblies - I cannot change the linetype of individual features (weldments) nor can I change the scope of visible items in the BOM/Cutlist. Assuming this is because SW treats the weldment as a single part.
SW 2005 SP2 - Any suggestions on how to get around this limitation? Or am I missing something obvious?
Len

Could you get what you want with configurations and the alternate position drawings? For each step you would need a configuration for the parts added at that step and a configuration with the parts included in the previous steps. Show the former as your normal position and the latter in phantom as your alternate position.