Equation editor

When an assembly is saved to a new file with "Save as Copy" to a new name, equations which drive the newly created assembly still reference the old
name and are in error with a red "!", (it can't find the original assembly).
Shouldn't there be an automatic way that SolidWorks should update the dimension variable names to the new file name without me having to manually edit the equations themselves?
I suppose I can copy and paste into Word, do a find and replace, copy and paste back into the equation editor, but doesn't that seem Mickey mouse?
Keith
If you're lucky, SW will notice the name change and ask if you want it to update references (when you open the assembly). I'm not sure what circumstances trigger this. I haven't seen it enough times to notice a pattern. I usually have to make corrections manually. I'm fairly certain there is no other mechanism, but it might be worth pestering the VAR just in case I'm wrong. If I am, please let me know.
Thank you for your quick response and confirming this! I have noticed the dialog in the past also, but nothing popped up this time (many more equations and a little more involved and not my model, just when one would hope SW would help).
Keith

I think to do this properly you will need to use solidworks explorer to rename the file. Doing it that way, I believe, should also rename the references.

I always use SW Explorer or pack & go to copy and rename things. THey simply fail quite often to update equations, and never update design tables.
Did it using SolidWorks and SolidWorks Explorer. My VAR got back to be and said they had to be manually updated. Quite amazing 2007-1995 years to get this simple find and replace right. It will get fixed someday, but I'm not putting any money of the year.
Keith

Sometimes, just to make myself feel better, I imagine that it's being put off for a proper overhaul of equations and design tables. Both need replacing.