File Properties

Hi,

I am trying to develop an addin application in SolidWorks which will enable users to rapidly search for custom/standard file properties for a large number of files. The application will use a backend database for efficiency and speed. I was however wondering if designers religiously fill these properties in most files. What I am probably trying to ask is that, will such an application be of any use to anyone?

I look forward to your feedback.

TIA Tat

Reply to
tathagatac

A free SW iFilter for Win Desktop Search that is able to query properties would be nice.

Reply to
neil

SolidWorks Explorer will do this.

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

If your parts collection is not large, or does not need searched frequently, then SW explorer will work well, without requiring database maintenance. If thats not the case, I recall a utility that would parse a directory and pull the custom properties from each file and import them into an excel sheet which would make searching much faster/sortable/ect but would need updated frequently. Unofrtunately I don't recall the name, perhaps someone else does.

Reply to
Brian

SolidWorks Explorer also has this ability. You can save Search criteria for reuse.

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

Tat

It's probably been done. I approached my VAR and he tells me that there is something like that already out.

Dosen't PDM Works do something like that?

I think I know what you mean. I think you're talking about a stand alone aplication. (But then, you did say add-in)

I had a need for nearly the same thing, and developed one of my own. I used VBA and run it as a macro within SolidWorks. Although I haven't integrated to a database, I have considered using a spreadsheet. Either one or the other would be the next step. I currently have the custom properties parameters hard coded into the routine and cut- n-paste the results from the VB immidiate window into a spreadsheet or other text document. This works fine for me as my parameters are few, change seldom and I infrequently retrieve them. It works pretty slick though and saves me hours of tedium filling in dates, client info material and what ever etc etc.

Here's what I do with mine:

- Scan a directory for parts, assemblies or drawings applying a filter in the search to target a specific group of files.

- Open each file one at a time and apply, read, or modify the standard or custom properties. These can be printed or saved to a file.

- in the case of a drawing file, I can change the drawing template if required.

- Update the file and close it.

- I also batch print as well. (go for coffee and voila! a hundred drawings on my desk)

I'm sure that there's plenty of people that would use such a utility as you propose. Go for it. Good luck

cheers steve

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1131365140.576387.317410 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
SWalker

Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback. I will send the application to you all once it is ready. Probably I will announce it in this newsgroup.

Thanks, Tat

snipped-for-privacy@carrollhealthcare.com wrote:

Reply to
tathagatac