Group features

Can I group features like holes, extrudes etc. under a "parent" in the Feature Manger Tree?

I have several configurations of the same part. The difference between configs are holes, extra cuts etc. If I could group these features it was easier and more understandable to suppress and unsuppress the relevant features in each configuration.

Reply to
steve

hmm,... lets see,.. clues, clues,...

..it opens and closes and you can put features into it (like paper or files),.. or it's very similar,... no, it is "exactly" like a folder! Well, actually, it has the same exact spelling as folder.

.. ;^)

steve wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

...just what I was looking for... and yes I am to lazy to search the help.... it's so much easier just to have somebody else do the work...

And how about this one: How do I show both the configuration tree and the feature manager at the same time? I have now and then accidently managed to split the feature manager window... but cant recall how.

Reply to
steve

Just put Your cursor at the top border of the manager and You'll see the icon with two horisontal lines and two arrows.... drag it downwards and it'll split

Krister L

Reply to
Krister L

There are some drawbacks and limitations to folders. You should check out the help file to learn about them.

JJ

Reply to
JJ

Reply to
kellnerp

Reply to
steve

The big one for me is that the features have to be sequential in the Feature Manger. It is not always possible to chronologically create all the features which you might want to group.

BTW, has anyone else had a problem using automatic design table creation with parts that use feature folders. It is a problem that I encountered in SW2003 and, unfortunately, I don't really remember the specifics. I've not tinkered with this in 2004 so it might even be fixed. Just curious.

JJ

Reply to
JJ

That's only a restriction to adding them all at once - you can add any of them after the folder is created.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Perhaps I am not explaining myself clearly. For example, you have a part with four features and you want to group features 2 and 4 together in a folder. You cannot do this unless feature 4 can be reordered before feature

3 (or feature 2 can be reordered after feature 3). Correct?

I like the folders a lot and I fully understand why it cannot be done, but I wanted to point this rule out to the original poster.

JJ

Reply to
JJ

You may be able to move your folder down and then add stuff. It appears that you can sometimes add features even if you get the "no can do" symbol - just do it. It also appears that you may need to have some parents & children in there to maintain proper order. So, just try it.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany