Is the "Remove2004pr2.exe" attachment legitimate?

I just received an e-mail with an attachment that said this was necessary to run in order to remove Pre-Release 2 of SW2004 prior to installing SW2004. It came from a different domain: info@solidworks.00b.net The file attachment was called: "Remove2004pr2.exe".

I looked for reference to such a thing on the SW website and found none. Is this something SolidWorks sent out and that I really should run? Or is this a virus hoax like the ones being spoofed under Microsoft's name?

Regards, Brenda

Reply to
Brenda D. Bosley

You could call your VAR to verify. You don't need anything more than Windows' Add/remove programs tool in the control panel to accomplish this.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I agree - makes me nervous seeing something like that come in right now.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

"You don't need anything more than Windows' Add/remove programs tool in the control panel to accomplish this."

Only if you didn't trash the SolidWorksUnzip folder after installing PR2.....the uninstall routine looks for some files in there. I had already removed the folder, so had to re-run the downloaded file to reestablish whatever link was required to uninstall PR2.....

Reply to
Steve Rauenbuehler

I've sent an inquiry to SolidWorks. I guess the fact that you two haven't received such a thing makes it rather suspect. I'll let you know when I hear back from SW.

Thanks, Brenda

Reply to
Brenda D. Bosley

Brenda, The email I received did not included an attachment, simply a link to one. I checked and it's legit. I ran the .exe and sure enough it takes care of PR2. I had originally tried to remove PR2 the old fashioned way (Windows add/remove) and it didn't work. I ended up removing it and editing the registry (thanks Scott. B.) to fully remove it from my computer before installing the downloaded version of SP0. As it turns out, even those steps did not completely remove PR2, but lo and behold, the .exe file finished the job.

Richard Doyle

Reply to
Richard Doyle

Ok, so maybe it will solve my problem as well. I did the same all the way through, but I never could get rid of something that's still trying to load. Post the link, please.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Sorry Wayne, I'm reluctant to post the link for several reasons. Check with your VAR please. Nothing personal, I just don't want to be held accountable by anyone for passing along something I shouldn't.

message

Reply to
Richard Doyle

Well, I did get the same email. I think it was legit. There's also a confidentiality blurb at the end, so I only recommended that you talk to your VAR about it.

Looking again, the confidentiality blurb is at the end stating that the "following pages" contain the sensitive info. Since the body of the message came before, I guess it's not confidential.

Just exactly how binding is a confidentiality statement at the end of a document? I didn't agree to hold the message confidential before reading, I don't remember agreeing to it when I signed up for the newsletter (if this was generated from that list, the message makes no reference to NDAs I may have signed, and if I didn't read the entire message, I wouldn't know that they wished to keep it confidential. I guess others here didn't read the whole thing either. Or maybe they figured it wasn't binding.

At any rate, if the info is sensitive, then I think SW needs to do a better job of protecting it.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

"Brenda D. Bosley" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Personally, I think it's EXTREMELY bad policy for SW to email executable patches like that -- especially from a bizarre domain name such as "00b.net". They should know better. If I had received this it would have been deleted without hesitation.

Rule #1 for the modern day email user: NEVER trust an unexpected attachment.

If you were unsure about it enough to post a question then that's a pretty good sign that it should be deleted. Then afterwards visit SolidWorks' website or talk to your VAR to find out if it was valid and if so have someone resend it.

Joel Moore

Reply to
Joel Moore

Brenda, it is authentic, but I under your concern.

I have already used the program to fix my install 2 weeks ago when a SWX AE sent me the program. I believe this only applies if you have tried to update your PR1 or PR2 to SP0. If you haven't installed SP0 completely uninstall PR before installing SP0.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Biasotti

Absent a signature or a click-thru agreement, a "confidentiality" statement has no legal validity at all. They could just as well put in a clause that by reading the message, you agree to send them $50.

Reply to
Michael

If you go to the SW website and go to the DL page where SW04 and all the SW03 SP are located at, you will see that same file located there in RED.

It is only good to you if you have SW04 PR2 installed on your machine. If you don't, I would dis-regard the message.

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

If you go to the SolidWorks 2004 SP0 download site you'll find a reference to it in red. It's been there for a few days now.

Dave H

Reply to
Dave H

Thanks, all. Looks like it's the real thing. I guess all the recent spoofed spam viruses have made me too jumpy to look in the most obvious places. Sorry for sounding a false alarm. Thanks for the reponses.

Brenda

Reply to
Brenda D. Bosley

Let's try that.

This message is the sole exclusive property of Dale Dunn. Permission to read this message is expressly denied unless you first send me $500.00 (US). Furthermore, disclosure of these costs to 3rd parties is forbidden. Send your checks care of the James Tool, Machine and Engineering, Inc.

Disparaging opinions or other remarks not reflecting well on Dale Dunn or James Tool will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the legal department's ability to intimidate you.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Joel Moore quipped:

i would swear that the 00b.net address is spam. I think i got a spam a little while ago to take a SW survey at surveymonkey and a chance to win a digital camera. VAR told me it was spam.

so now anything with 00b.net in it, i just delete. anything not coming directly from solidworks.com i figure has to crap.

--nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

Nick,

Check the SolidWorks 2004 SP0 download page. The link is there in red on the SolidWorks Web site and is a legitimate address.

Dave H.

Reply to
Dave H

'k.

but why in the world are they using a funky address like that. seems rather stupid.

--nick e.

Dave H quipped:

Reply to
Nick E.

I like it! Here you go - here's my $500 - let me know if you received it. If not, start looking to see where it got lost, and let me know if you do find it.

On the other hand, I debated deleting the message below before posting this so it wouldn't look like I was "using" it. But then, this message would be irrelevant, and therefore not using it, and therefore using it............I think I'm stuck.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany