Joined part, broke ext refs, what now?

I have been trying to figure this one out for a while. I imported an
assembly, and decided I wanted a single part out of the assembly. So
I joined the assembly. I then decided I did not care to keep the
original assembly, so I broke the external reference link and deleted
the original assembly. Well I forgot (this has happened to me before)
the joined part is always going to reference the original assembly it
was created in.
My question is can I wash this joined file from any reference it had
to its creator? Every time I open the assembly this joined part is
in, I get a message that it can't find the parent assembly.
Everything works fine otherwise. It's just that annoying message on
Mike
Reply to
Michael Brusich
Right-Click on the Part name at the top of the design tree. In the list select "List External Refs......." In the dialog that comes up select Break All at the bottom you will probably have a dumb part then.
Corey Scheich
Reply to
Corey Scheich
Mike, Since it's a joined part you probably aren't going to be doing anything with it? How about creating a STEP file and re-inserting it in your assembly?
Richard
Reply to
Richard Doyle
Sorry about that.
If you set the option
External References Load Referenced Documents
to NONE
you will not get this error.
Corey
Reply to
Corey Scheich
Or, better than STEP, use Parasolid...
--Todd
Reply to
Todd
If you're using 2003 or later you can save an assembly as a part without using the join command. You might keep this in mind for the future. We use it all the time for assemblies we get from customers. This method brings no references with it.
Dave H
Michael Brusich wrote:
Reply to
Dave H
I didn't see that. Save an Assembly as a part. That's great you can even save it as surfaces or solids. I did not know this was possible. It was probably in a presentation somewhere, but I may have been zoning at the time. That's why I like this group. Everyone knows some other method. I've used the translate through the step format before and that works, but it just seemed like a going from NY to Chicago via Miami type of things. It's just too bad that you can't remove or change that relationship in solidworks explorer. The reference shows up but doesn't allow a change. Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions! Mike
Reply to
Michael Brusich