lances moving in sheetmetal flat layout

I modelled an enclosure with some lances on a edge flange. I created a plane offset from the top of the flange 0.807" and created my lances on this plane. When I "flatten" my sheetmetal part - the lances have moved 0.065. This planar offset has changed. I inserted the sheetmetal feature after finishing modelling - (I guess creating this problem) but why would my offset change? I created this offset from the top of the flange - it should not matter what radius I am using to create the bend? I guess I am missing something here?

The planar offset stays the same (in the flat)if you create a sheetmetal part from the get go. Why the difference?

Reply to
Turk

i can't visualize (planar offset from top of flange???) your description. sounds like it's unnecessary. anyhow, lances are usually applied "directly" to the face of the desired flange. the location (x,y) of the lance is controlled with dimensions.

Reply to
kenneth b

Just guessing here...

Is the lance dimensioned to a bend? When it is flattened it may be updating the feature because the bend (or feature on the other side of a bend) has moved.

Check the relations and dimensions in the sketch for the lance that locates it.

Todd

Reply to
Todd

In hindsight, yes that would be easier - but I wanted the ability to change the relationship between the lance and the edge of the flange easily (without linking dimensions).

I could offer my model - I realize my description is hard to visualize.

Turk

Reply to
Turk