Method to Capture Design Notes?

Is there a way to create "design notes" that are associated with features in a part and/or parts in an assembly (i.e. a note on why this draft angle was used on this feature, kind of an "extension" of renaming a feature/part to better describe what the feature/part is or does)? It would be nice to RMB on a feature in the tree and have a "free text box" in the feature propertities dialog box into which unformatted text can be entered. I guess (never having used IV) that this is similar to the "engineering notebook" in which notes can be attached to a model, but I would like to add notes directly to features/parts in the tree. Regards, Jim W.

Reply to
JimW

If you right-click on the feature and select Feature>Properties there is a description field that you can put that type of information in. (I'm on

2004, but am pretty sure that this has been in previous releases for some time) Make sure you are not selecting Body>Porperties as there isn't a Description field in that dialog. An alternative method would be actually putting an annotation on the part model pointing at the feature in question with a note (Insert>Annotation>Note). Using this method will also allow you to "pull" in the annotation into a drawing of the part.

Oddly enough the help file does not provide an explanation for the Feature Description field, yet it describes the functionality of all the other dialog contents.

Reply to
Jeff N

Jim,

There are a couple of ways to do this one is under the configuration(s) of the part if you go to the properties of the configuration there is a comment are to type text.

The other is use the design table ability to add notes for the design. This way that document also is always added to the design. Under help in SolidWoorks type in user notes in design tables under the index. It gives a decent example.

Ken

Reply to
CSWP

Jeff/Ken, thanks for the tips. I totally overlooked the description field, I think that will work fine for most of my "down and dirty" notes. I will also try playing with the design table approach (I have not done much with design tables). Thanks again, Jim W.

Reply to
JimW

Jim: Are you the Jim W. that works at ODI?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Davis

Nope, out in Calif. JimW