Need a good, cheap 2D CAD app (preferably free)

I need to do some basic layouts of my backyard for my new shed. I use SolidWorks at work, but I need to do this 2D stuff at home. Anyone
recommend something simple, but good to use that is free ? The last 2D software that I used was AutoCAD R14.
Most of the time you can use SW at home if you use it at work. Your VAR should be able to set you up. Brian
SW Monkey wrote:

Yea, I have SolidWorks installed at home, but I dont want to bother doing this in 3D.

If you have SW at home, and want free 2D, how about DWG Editor?
WT

I forgot about DWG Editor. I just installed it. This may work, but ill keep looking for a landscape type 2D package.
Thanks .

Beside the fly out windows the command line works like AutoCAD 2000. If you are used to AutoCAD and use the key board it works about the same...but it takes some looking to find out how to customize the drawing environment.
Steve
SW Monkey wrote:

If you have SolidWorks installed, then why not use DWGeditor it's on the SolidWorks install CD?
John Layne www.solidengineering.co.nz
Cad STD, Ally Cad, A9 Cad, Google Sketch-Up, are all Freeware. Do a Google and you will probably find more than that.
G. De Angelis De Angelis Tool Valhalla Grafix www.deangelistool.com
SW Monkey wrote:

I already googled 2D cad packages. Im just tryinig to get some suggestions from the group.

colored construction paper comes to mind, or kids toys, boxes of cereal and cans of beans on the kitchen table,... sorry, wish I was home - we're in day one of our ISO audit - bit stressed out at the moment. "Sorry sir, did you say 'why is the spec index dated 1998 and the spec dated 2002?"
Some of the imsi turbo-cad type packages or landscape software can be found at used book stores like Half-price Books for $10.
If you haven't tried Sketch-up - free from Google, it's worth a look. Easy to use and fun, and then you can put your back-yard out there for all of us to see.
Diego
SW Monkey wrote:

Solid Edge is offering a 2D version for free.
http://www.solid-edge.com/free2d/default.htm
I'd wager there will be some strings attached, such as phone calls from VARs and emails offering you deals to upgrade to 3D Solid Edge for a low, low price of....

Not certain but believe I've read that TurboCAD gives away old versions.
I've done stuff like this in a SolidWorks Drawing without any problems. I've gotten so used to parametric sketching that I prefer it for most 2D tasks vs. doing it in ACAD or DWGEditor. The enhancements to Blocks in SolidWorks 2007 makes tasks such as this even easier.
Best Regards,
Ricky Jordan CSWP Dynetics, Inc. Huntsville, AL check out my blog at: http://www.rickyjordan.net