Newbie:Is it possible to break up a part then make an assembly?

Hi,

Is it possible to break up an imported part such that each feature is then considered a seperate part? If that is possible then I would like to make that group of parts into an assembly. I know that this may seem like a funny thing to do but I have a purpose. I need to model passive microwave structures with an electromagnetic field modeling tool. The tool itself has a solid modeling interface but it is rather primitive compared to that of Solidworks. It would be advantagious to import microwave connector model files created by the companies that manufacture the connectors, but these files are part files (IGES format)and not assemblies. This does not give me the ability to assign material properies to different sections of the model. If I can somehow use Solidworks to translate the part file into an assembly and then save that assembly in STEP format, then I can import the part into Microwave Studio and assign the appropriate material properties.

Thank You Tom tom_cip snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Teece

Look up Split parts in the Help file.

There is a very good explaination on just that. I just did it this morning.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

As Muggs said, you can do this, but you might find it easier to just use the imported part as a framework to build the individual pieces in SolidWorks. Splitting a complicated connector up into it its pieces will probably require some tricky surface work.

Jerry Steiger