off topic EPS files

This may be a stretch. In the past (a month ago), I would save a drawing as a PDF. I would then use Adobe Acrobat 7.0 to open the pdf, and save it as a EPS file. I could then open Word 2000 and insert the EPS file. Last week, IT upgraded us to Outlook 2003. I had been using Tunderbird

2.0. Now when I try to insert an EPS file into word, it only puts in my company logo, which is a BMP in the drawing border. Has anyone heard of this before, and is there a work around? What other methods are you using to put SW illustrations into a word document? Thanks, Brian
Reply to
Brian Putnam

I like PNG format for illustrations. PNG supports vectors and works w/ MS Office (Word, Outlook). Acrobat exports PNG.

Reply to
That70sTick

Reply to
Brian Putnam

Since when? I prefer PNG for raster images, but have seen no evidence of support for vector. After your post I did the basic google search for 'png vector' and found nothing to support this statement. I know that .wmf supports vector graphics, but have never seen or heard of this with png. I trust you. Maybe you could illuminate a little more? Is it a new standard, or have I been missing something? Because that would be cool

Ed

BTW, for those listening - PNG, with raster images (like pictures, photoworks renderings, scans, etc) is a lossless formatt like TIFF or BMP that has small file sizes comparable to a BMP or TIFF after being ziped. That's why it is cool. When you use JPEG you degrade the quality of the image because JPEG is what is called 'lossy' - it reduces file size by throwing away data. Same goes for GIF, except instead of throwing awys pixles, GIF throws away colors. These are all raster formats in my experiece. I am interested in hearing if PNG also saves vectors data, which is usually stored in a dxf, wmf, or png.

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

Or 'pdf' ,instead of 'png' ,is what I meant to write. The sentence as written is just stoopid. Sorry for my lack of proofreading. Ed

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

Yep, PNG is a raster format,.... but,... interesting enuf,..there are some versions which added vector information but it's not supported by the PNG org.

I believe he's thinking of SVG for vector support?

Here's a png link...

and, svg wiki

..

Reply to
zxys

I think you're right about me being wrong. I've been using PNG for a long time because it seems I can crop and scale and expand and zoom with no loss of clarity, unlike my experience w/ TIFF. I assumed this was because PNG supported vectors. That seemed to be the net effect.

Tonight I took some PNG images and put them through some extreme stretching and zooming. Seems they do have a limit.

In any case, it's still a great format for putting CAD-originated illustrations into other documents.

Reply to
That70sTick

SVG is cool too bad it is dying out

But still, it would be nice to be able save SW drawings directly to SVG

This format is awesome for attaching drawings to web pages (but need viewer plug-in) among other things supports animation and can be interactive.

Ps.

Looking at SVG again, I went across pretty good and free tool for converting logos and pictures to vector files

mr.T