OT: Well not really

Are there any peeps out here that do or have knowledge of blow molding.

I am familiar with injection molding and thermoforming, but not blow molding and I was wondering if any one had an example of a blow mold.

TIA, Muggs

-- Change "home" to"comcast" to reply

Reply to
Muggs

Go to a toy store and examine the "Step2" product line. Most of this is blow-molded.

Also, Iceberg Enterprises makes a line of blow-molded offie furniture (the hand truck is my handiwork).

Reply to
That70sTick

Many automotive gas tanks are done this way these days. Unfortunately I have only seen the machines run didn't have time to check out the intricacies of the process.

Corey

Reply to
CS

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but these are a starting place & interesting reading - enjoy!

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Plastic milk jugs & pop bottles are blow molded IIRC.

Reply to
Cliff

[ Blow Molding: A widely used process for the production of hollow thermoplastic shapes. The process is divided into two general categories: extrusion blow molding and injection blow molding. These processes are typically used to manufacture plastic bottles and containers. (Modern Plastics Encyclopedia 1995) Extrusion Blow Molding: A parison or tube of plastic material is dropped or lowered from an extruder. Mold halves close around the parison, which is then expanded against the cavity wall by the injection of air. (Modern Plastics Encyclopedia 1995)

Injection Blow Molding: A two-stage process where plastic is first injection molded into a preform. The preform is then transferred to a blow mold where it is expanded. (Modern Plastics Encyclopedia 1995). ]

HTH

Reply to
Cliff

The company I work for is one of the largest blow molding manufacturers in the world.

Reply to
Sean Dotson

Thanks everyone, some very good information.

But what I specifically looking for is mold design practices for extrusion blow molding.

If anyone has an example of a mold, I would be grateful.

Thanks, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs