question about free Edrawing viewer

Hi,

It seems the free edrawing viewer is not the professional verison as in there is no measure tool or markup tools etc.

In our office the estimators would like to open and measure basic dims off of the native solidworks assembly. The free edrawing viewer will open these files but doesn't offer the tools mentioned above. Yet these tools are available if I publish an edrawing and save it as an exe file. This seems like a double standard. If the measure tool is freely distributable it should also be in the free version.

Thanks,

Zander

Reply to
Zander

So is this a question or an editorial?

You don't have to save it as an exe, you could save it as any eDw format as long as you do it from the pro version and measure/markup is enabled.

This is actually very easy to fix. If you don't like it, don't use it. Go get another viewer that does free measure and markup.

Reply to
matt

Zander,

With the "professional" version, you can publish files that include the measure and markup capabilities enabled. Anyone you send these files to will be able to measure and markup.

You would need to publish the files that your estimators review. I would suggest you save them in the native eDrawings format, not as EXE's. They will be much smaller, yet will retain the measure and markup capabilities.

The measure tool is only "freely distributable" if published using the Pro version, with measure enabled.

Hope this helps.

CG

Reply to
CAD Guy

Recently in a trade magazine (Machine Design or Desktop Engineering I think??) there was a cd with edrawings pro for free. I don't know if it really is the pro version since I haven't installed it.

Reply to
JTH

Geez, take it easy man, I was just pointing out something that makes it more difficult than is necessary to measure a model in the viewer - since opening and resaving loads of files takes some time or the time required to make a macro to do it. I wan't even harsh about - are you a bodyguard for SW?

Zander

Reply to
Zander