Question re. Importing Parasolid Assemblies

Folk,

I occasionally send Parasolid assemblies (exported from another package) to SW Users, and almost always get asked to break the assembly up into individual part-files & resend.

If a Parasolid assembly is opened in SW, is it possible to recognise it AS an Assembly and automatically extract the component parts? If so, I just need a simple step-by-step guide to send with the exported files.

TIA from 'the other side'

R.H. (Rick) Mason MASCO Design Services Pty Ltd Sydney, Australia

Reply to
R.H. (Rick) Mason

Rick Mason - wow, I haven't seen that name since my SE days.

I occasionally import ParaSolids from Unigraphics into SW. SW does automatically recognize an assembly as that. However, the parts are usually labeled as Part-1 and so on. There is nothing that I can do on my end.

A ParaSolid of an assembly that was exported from SW and imported back into SW does see the original part names.

I assume the program that exported the ParaSolid is controlling how SW imports it.

Todd Engle

TEngle

- Yep, still here trying to keep UGS honest & beat Users into shape ;-)

- I'm not concerned about part naming so much as being able to open/ view individual parts if they are imported as an Assembly first up. Are the parts 'glued' together as a lump, or can they be individually displayed?

- I guess that depends on what header information is populated on export, and whether the importing program attempts to read the header data.

- Probably a bit of both.

Cheers,

Rick.

Reply to
R.H. (Rick) Mason

The UG assembly ParaSolids that I normally receive, open in SW as an assembly.

SW automatically creates an assembly file and a part file for every component, including repeated parts (multiple of a fastener used numerous times). Each part file can be individually opened. Each is a dumb-solid.

Todd

Reply to
TEngle

Thanks, Todd - this confirms what I thought the answer to be.

I suspect that inexperience or lack of inquisitiveness are to blame at the 'receiving end' ...

Rick :-o

Reply to
R.H. (Rick) Mason