Re: News group reading and writing

All this time I have been involved with this group by going to

>Google.com and waiting for the hours it takes for posts to show. If I >now go to this other NG server, is it merely a window into this >existing group, but happens in real time so messages are displayed >sooner? If this is so, why don't they show up as quickly here if this >is the "real" group? If the NG server is actually another group, how >do they reconcile to each other? Obviously I don't know much about >how all this works, therefore the questions.

Google is a database & search engine. It searches it's own database which gets updated ona batch basis every so many hours. That takes a bit of time.

Newssevers send the posts to other newsservers and those send them to their subscribers as well as taking new posts from their subscribers and sending them to other newsservers. Not all newsservers carry all newsgroups by any means. And they also have a "latency" period after which old posts expire and are purged from their storage.

Newservers are thus faster but don't maintain much in the way of long term archives. Google is mostly for archives & searches but there are also many groups Google does not carry. Being aboe to post from Google is sort of an add-on to the original purpose. It's not a newsserver.

Now I have a question: What other archive Sites are there besides Google?

HTH

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Interesting. So, it sounds like if you want to work in this group in real time (desirable), use the NG mentioned. If you want to search for something from the past, go here to Google. Correct?

I am using Outlook for email here at work. Can I set it up to pull in the NG messages? Will those messages just come into their own folder? Or will they just show up as regular messages in the inbox? Do you have any kind of detailed instructions I could follow?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

(Bottom posting is usually best. Snip out any meaningless [to your response} stuff in prior posts. Post edited to the bottom ... this allows the context to be read first.)

Use a newsserver and subscribe to this group (there are over 40,000 of them IIRC). Methods and means may depend on your software & ISP. That's about as realtime as it gets but sometimes a newsserver or ISP barfs too. Or your software.

Right. Or wait hours to see any new posts ..... and you will never see any on Google where the posted said not to archive the post. (There's a way to do that; several in fact.) And you can keep seeing the same ones over & over again.

I can answer none of that, sorry. No Outlook Distress allowed on this machine . And in over a decade of use not a single virus either. Ever. Honest !!!

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

correct

yes, yes, no, yes

talk to your IT person, you may already have a news service. if not go to

they have a excellent free service

register,

instructions for outlook express (very similar to outlook),

kenneth b