Re: SW2005 to 2007, skipping 2006... Opinions?

Thank you for your input, sirs... I'll keep thinking about this...

- WaterGuy...

"Water Guy" a écrit dans le message de news: rG6Hf.2886$bd4.2570@edtnps84...

I know this is a general question, and the answer might be: "it depends on >what you want to do", but I'm toying with the idea of skipping SW2006. > > We are currently using about 20 seats of SW2005 and we are generally > satisfied with it. Before each upgrade, we spend lot of time testing the > new version, then we make a progressive switch. This is time-consuming, > and users have to adapt to each new version. > > How do you evaluate the risks with skipping a version? My biggest concern > is with compability. All our "design templates models" use extensive > in-context relations; we also use a certain amount of VBA routines. > > Therefore, could skipping SW2006 and jumping from SW2005 to SW2007 (in > about one year) cause major problems? (I'd prefer to correct some minor > bugs in the transition from 2005 to 2006 and the from 2006 to 2007 instead > of major ones between 2005 and 2007.) > > Also, what are your feelings about the advantages of SW2006? A few months > ago, our VAR told us that there were major improvements in the lightweight > mode that would make working in large assemblies and drawings much easier > and faster. Is this true? > > Thank you for your help! > > WaterGuy >
Reply to
Water Guy

We've been upgrading roughly every two years lately. As I recall, we ran

2001+, then 2004, then 2006 (although we haven't completed the move to 2006 yet). It works better for us than trying to fix the parts and assemblies that break in each new version in the middle of the product development. It doesn't seem to us to make the conversion any worse to skip a year and we only have to make half as many conversions. On the other hand, we don't use any VBA or extensive in-context relations in our design template models, so you might have problems that we wouldn't see.

For us, 2006 is good because of the improvements in lightweight and the surfacing. On the other hand, it's still pretty buggy. As you said in the beginning, it all depends.

Jerry Steiger